Small Nubian buck?

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
IMG_9650.JPG

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
And further research has shown me why I didnt test for johnes.

More common in cattle. It seems that it can be hard to accurately check unless through necropsy. I will speak to the vet who did my last tests tomorrow.

It was just yesterday that I realized he is basically 2 and small.

I have always fed him about a cup of grain a day (a bit more during rut) and he normally browses in 3 acres of wooded area also either Sudan hay or a coastal/prairie grass mixed hay.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have read so much about not feeding bucks too much grain. Urinary calculi was a big concern with bucks getting a lot of grain.

I know I fed my huge alpine as he grew (and I still do feed him this) 1-2 cups.

I have a cup from the calf milk replacer that i use to measure our feed. The ladies I got the alpine from said about 3/4 full of grain. Hmm now that I am thinking...it is likely more than one cup (I am not using a measuring cup but guessing what ends up in his bowl) might be more equal to two cups....

All the sources I have seen recommend not feeding a lot of grain. I don't know what qualifies as a lot though.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I thought their main feed is browse/hay

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to work with a mobile vet. I couldn't even begin to count the amount of times we were called to a farm to see a skinny animal (usually a horse in this case).

Client - "But, doc - I've wormed him, I've had his teeth checked and he's still skinny."

Doc's question - "How much are you feeding him?"

Clint - "I'm feeding him what the bag recommends"

Docs answer - "Feed him what the vet recommends."

Client - "What do you recommend?"

Doc - "I recommend that you feed him more!"

If this is truly a case of the animal not getting enough feed then feed him more! :) Start adding a little more feed at a time and very gradually work him up to more feed. When he starts gaining weight - he's getting enough feed! There are good feeds out there that have ammonium chloride to help prevent urinary calculi. If that is a big concern for you then that may be what you want for him.

I'd have a vet look at him, bring a fecal, be sure to ask them to check him for coccidia even though he's older... If he had diarrhea for six months it could be that he's got intestinal damage and will never absorb nutrients properly. But, like babsbag mentioned - he could still sire nice kids if the genetics are there!

AND - the Nubian doe in the background looks great!

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She is due next week. Likely with triplets. :). She stays on the thin side too. Maybe I just don't give her enough grain either

I can definitely increase his grain slowly and see if he will gain. I feed the boys the dairy ration I feed the girls. It is higher protein. But I wouldn't mind feeding them the cheaper 14% allstock. I sprinkle ammonium chloride like salt on the bucks feed.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
You said that his offspring are small so that wouldn't be from any feed or intestinal damage. I can also tell you that I don't feed my bucks any grain at all, not even as kids. I have 4... Alpine, LaMancha, Nigi, and mini Alpine, none of them are small. But I do feed them 100% dairy quality alfalfa hay. My does also don't get grain unless they are on the milk stand. I have some smaller ones, and some that are HUGE...all on the same feed and most with the same genetics.

Johne's used to be primarily in cattle but it is being seen more and more in goats and sheep. You can do a blood test for it...a good place to start. Maybe not always 100% accurate but if it comes back as positive or borderline you collect the collect the goat berries and send it in for a fecal test.

Moody

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
His daughter is in the pic too. She will be 1 next week. The little doeling in the stall in front. There is no way she is big enough to breed at 1. I'm not sure 6 months is going to make a difference. I'm finding that I need a third pen. Thankfully my bucks didn't get to her. She is in with her daddy now but I'm having problems with him (he escapes my buck pen and I have no way to individually feed bucks in that pen) and I think he is no longer in rut anyway.

Bad genetics could also be at play. My other kids grow out great. It's the Nubians giving me problems.

I knew there were some here who don't feed a lot of grain.

There isn't a lot of hay choice around here. horse quality coastal and cow hay are the most common. A guy wants $70 a round bale for high quality Sudan and the stalks are huge so a lot of it is waste. Alfalfa (don't what what dairy quality means) costs 12.50 a small square bale. I buy it for my does before and during kidding and most of the milk season. They don't get as much as I would like as it is expensive.