small sheep breeds

Anny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
There are so many different breeds of sheep out there. What are some of the smaller breeds of sheep or mini sheep if you will, and which are easier for a beginner. And best temper.

Thank you

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
my buddy had icelandics... which are small and easy to deal with. but when we dressed them out - the cuts were really small so i wasnt sold on them for a meat bread. altho the meat we got was very mild and delish!

Anny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I would be looking more for fiber then meat personally.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Check out the Border Cheviots, they are smaller and produce wool that can easily be hand spun. And they are cute! :p

Anny

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
aww those are really cute sheep. Thanks !

Eliza

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
we have olde english babydoll southdowns. They are minature sheep, only 24 inches tall! Their wool is very like cashmir. They are wonderfully gentle and love people.

big brown horse

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Eliza said:
we have olde english babydoll southdowns. They are minature sheep, only 24 inches tall! Their wool is very like cashmir. They are wonderfully gentle and love people.
Hi Eliza, do you have a photo of a babydoll sheep? I would love to see one!! They sound awesome!

Eliza

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
sorry, been away for a while. You can google olde english babydoll southdown sheep on the internet. They have better pics than I do. My sheep are black, so getting good shots is hard. Babydolls have a characteristic smile that you need to see to believe. My wethers are sweet and happy. They love people and love to be petted. They are great weed eaters and won't strip bark from trees or bushes. Vineyards use them specifically for this purpose. I would love to have more of them. We were surprised at the size of "regular" sheep, they are pretty big. But these guys are small, so they are easier to handle, and easy to fence.

jen6265

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Another possibility would be shetland sheep. We breed them here on our farm near Niagara Falls, they are the smallest of the British sheep breeds. Their wool is a dream to spin. We have a lot of information on our web page. Hope this helps!
Jen

Latest posts