Small sheep

Junior

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Watch your back with a bottle ram. When the testicles kick in, they can be more dangerous than a ram that was dam raised. Kenny is still young and may get a growth spurt that catches him up to the others.

One of my ewes had triplets in February, one was tiny, weak, cold and couldn't suck. I warmed her up by putting her in a laundry basket, with towels over it to make a tent to hold in warmth, and a hair dryer blowing on her. I made sure her head was poked out so the hot air didn't cook her little lungs. When she was warm, I tied up the ewe and put the lamb up to the teat. She was so small, the teat was engorges with milk (this ewe has an udder like a cow) that she couldn't get the teat in her mouth. So I milked the uncooperative ewe, poured the colostrum into a baby bottle and dribbled it, drop by drop into the lambs mouth. I spent hours doing this. The ewe wanted her baby, but baby was just too small and weak. I took her in the house and bottle fed her.

I transitioned her, plus a rejected ram lamb that was born on the same day, had to milk his momma too, back to the barn after about a month. I bottle fed them out there, they got to play with other lambs, go in the creep feeder and learn to be sheep. My little ewe lamb was named Tiny, little bitty thing. My point to all this is, that now size wise, you can't tell her from her 2 sisters. They are 8 months old now and with the ram.

Kenny being so young yet, he may grow off and be just fine. If he doesn't, the lady knows what she is getting and his genetics may trump his small size. I wish only the best for you and Kenny.
Our current ram wasn't bottle fed but comes up for pats like a dog does. I still keep an eye on him though even though he's only ever rammed into our dog because the dog was sniffing him and getting in the way. They were best friends though so it didn't affect him too much.

I've tried to give Kenny feed but neither of the boys want it. I'll try to bring mum in and feed her a bit so Kenny might eat some. If not I'm sure he'll figure it out soon enough. He sniffs and nibbles at it but doesn't eat too much.

Thanks for the advice so far (even though most of it is about not trusting him it's still giving me a bit of advice)