Smallest Full-Size Dairy goat?

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the smallest breed of the full sized dairy goats is? It seems at one point or another I've read that all of them were the smallest except saanens or alpines.

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
I'm just going by what I've seen personally, but the Obs we have are tiny compared to our others...both smaller in stature and bulk.

I've seen some small LaManchas, and also some huge ones...it would probably depend on what bloodlines you buy, whatever breed.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
my lamancha is pretty petite.. but then i know a breeder who likes them big and one of his looks like a giraffe.

my la mancha out milks my sanaan - she's an easy keeper, quiet, extremely efficient with her feed to milk... and well behaved - a real gem!

username taken

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
as a rule, toggenbergs hands down. they were originally bred to be small, compact dairy goats

Aped

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I went to a fair this past summer and I swear the toggenburgs there were HUGE! No other goat at the fair was as big as these, so I immediately ruled them out. I wonder if I was looking at some meat goat with toggenburg markings...

Roll farms

Spot Master
Reaction score
There are "old line" Toggs that are pretty compact, and then the "new style" toggs, which are huge.
We have the huge ones, and they're taller than all our other goats.

Ariel301

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I think Oberhaslis are on the small side. I've also got a teeny little LaMancha doe, she's only about 95 pounds.

mcadams

Just born
Reaction score
dont know what you mean by full sized, but my nigerian dwarf is small, maybe 50 pounds.