1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Baymule’s 4th Lambing. - Discussion thread.
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Smoke soot cleaner?

Discussion in 'Diseases & Injuries - Goats' started by Miyu, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Jul 29, 2018
    Miyu

Miyu Just born

I'm not entirely sure this is the appropriate section to ask this question. Feel free to move it , if it is not.

How do you clean soot crusted noses on sheep/goats ?

Last year during our fires here, our animals were in smoke filled skies for many many days. Their noses became encrusted with soot boogers. I cleaned them with what was available -paper towels and cold water, but I had to scrub at them, and wasn't able to get 100% off.

Is there something I can put in my med kit, that would make this process easier?
    At home, I have access to warm water ,and anything else which might help. But if they have to be evacuated, I rely on what's in my medkit.

Thanks.

2. Jul 29, 2018
    Critter

Critter Chillin' with the herd

There is a product marketed for babies called boogie wipes that are basically baby wipes with saline on them. They really helped when my human kids had crusty noses and I needed to gently clean them. The saline helps loosen things without being irritating. Maybe those would work?