Snake Identification?

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hello!
Yesterday I had a huge snake in the yard and I can't figure out what kind of snake it was...
It was black with golden/red diamonds along it's back...it's belly was black and it had no rattle.
It moved really fast with it's head up, above the ground...kind of like a cobra but it didn't have a hood.
And it moved FAST!
When I went to grab it, it charged at me, then it slithered under my outdoor rabbit hutches. I grabbed it and it was trying to strike at me...this thing was at least 6 feet long.
I researched forever yesterday looking at all the snakes around here ad it doesn't look like any of them.
The last black snake I caught was a rat snake and I knew right away because of that odor they release.
If I was guessing, I would say it looked most like a Kingsnake but apparently none of the kingsnakes around here have diamonds....:idunno
Any ideas??

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Just remember, pics can be of great help....but, understand not being prepared....if I had to make a guess on the description....and in your location....I would say that it could be a scarlet, corn, or milk snake.....however, another thing ya have to remember is, some people get snakes as pets because of the "novelty" of them, but once they reach a size that is bigger than they wish to deal with, or the variety they chose has aggressive tendencies, but didn't have any problems until they did.....the knee jerk reaction is to turn them loose....or, it could have escaped its enclosure.....if this is the case.....it could be a kind of boa or python.....many of them are aggressive and most any snake will become aggressive if agitated...."survival mode".....there is only 1 that I know of that is the least aggressive of sizeable snakes and that would be a ball python.....remember, there aren't any that are "territorial", so they won't stay or reside in an area if the smell of prey is not around....they are true hunters and are constantly moving.....they will rest 2-5 days in a spot if they have eaten for it to digest before moving and hunting again, but only have to eat a decent meal once a month to sustain life....sorry, I couldn't be of more help to ya!!.....:)

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
The behavior sounds like it could be a racer, but they are white to light yellow on the belly and don't have a pattern on their back....the raising up off the ground is a classic behavior of them and they don't back down very easily....the scales on top of the head can identify many snakes too, but most don't care to look that close.....:)

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Girl what are you doing trying to grab a unkown snake :ep next time grab a shovel, remove it's head from its body...then make friends with it and post pictures of the two of you together ......:highfive: :bunny:bunny:bunny
It was under my rabbits!! I had to get it...and it was moving fast!
I'm not afraid of snakes. I looked for a rattle, I looked at it's pupils and for the heat-sensing pits on it's face..i was sort of careful :plbb
I don't want to kill it! if it was a rattlesnake I might have killed it....

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks @CntryBoy777 @Mike CHS and @greybeard
It was those diamonds that threw me off...I've never seen that.
And it definitely wasn't a boa or a python...it was thin built. I know pictures would have been helpful but I didn't have a chance to grab the camera.
And thank you for the link! I'll take a look at that and see if any look like the one I saw :)
I've never seen a snake hold it's head up like that...just cobras but I know it wasn't a cobra!

Latest posts