Snake Identification?

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
I tend to go all biblical on snakes... any snake especially if it startles me. W use to get rat snakes close to the house and I try to look for them so I am not startled. At least the rat snake is doing something useful.

We get a real thin green ribbon snake thing that likes the water garden. He's a fast one and doesn't seem to bother the fish so he ok as long as ....

Rattlesnakes get dispatched as soon as spotted. I don't parse out that they eat mice and rats. Don't care. Shotgun works real well. Egg stealers get beheaded with prejudice. Chickens like dead snakes after a couple days in the chicken yard to soften up the snake.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to have many of the same thoughts....as I was growing up and up to the early 90s....then, I decided to do some research and "get to know them" a bit better....I learned a whole lot from a reptile magazine....and I got my 3 snakes to raise....ball python, milk snake, and a western hog nosed.....learned so much with them and was very sad to let them go, but just didn't tend to them after my 2nd heart attack.....they were My pets and Joyce refused to feed them.....but watched it every single time....:)

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
It's great if they stick to rats....mine usually turn into egg eaters...:(

The Rat Patrol has taken a few eggs over the years, I can't deny that. But I know it has taken out lots and lots of rats, too - I figure it's a trade-off. I make a point of checking for eggs just about every time I'm in the area of the coop (2 - 3 times per day), so I don't miss many. Something else I don't miss is the rat poop and pee all over everything:sick, and stuff getting chewed up:somad . . . like I said, a trade-off.

Am I the only one who thinks it's cute? :lol:

"Cute" isn't quite the word I use; (s)he's a 6-footer. There's a 3-foot Green Rat Snake that we see regularly, too; I call that one "JRatC. " There's also a Black Racer that we call "Speed" that we see a lot, but not in or around the chicken coop (it's too small to manage the big eggs that my girls lay, at least for the time being). No, I'm not totally bonkers, but I am a firm believer in "better the devil you know." Copperheads are common as mud around here, we also have Water Moccasins and 3 kinds of rattlesnakes (not to mention Coral Snakes). I figure, since we seem to have an abundance of snake food living around here, I'd prefer to have non-venomous snake neighbors eating it. :idunno

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm investing in a snake-grabber. That way I won't have to get so close and pick it up with my hands o_O

I have two now, DD just picked up another for me. First getting old but still doing the job! Mine are Machete. :lol:

Don't want to see any as they won't just stay with mice!! So, not welcome. Cats can do the mice for me!!

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
I used to have many of the same thoughts....as I was growing up and up to the early 90s....then, I decided to do some research and "get to know them" a bit better....I learned a whole lot from a reptile magazine....and I got my 3 snakes to raise....ball python, milk snake, and a western hog nosed.....learned so much with them and was very sad to let them go, but just didn't tend to them after my 2nd heart attack.....they were My pets and Joyce refused to feed them.....but watched it every single time....:)
I love snakes...I went to a reptile expo in May and I almost bought a snake that I fell in love with. It was beautiful....an albino boa. I'll get one some day. They are actually very easy to get attached to!
I like African House Snakes....those are pretty neat too :)