Sneezing, coughing, runny nose & eyes

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
It has been one thing after the other after buying 5 new goats. I've never had so much trouble.

Coccidia, kids treated and improving.
Did have some coughing during and after eating (thought was normal because they are gluttons)

Well I now have coughing, sneezing, runny nose and eyes. EVERYONE is doing this.

So cold that will run its course or URI that needs treated.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would at least give immune boosters. apple cider vinegar is the main one, I have found that GSE, grapefruit seed extract, is super effective against most infections. Dandelions are also really great for immune and respiratory support. Chamomile is an all time favorite and power house as well, plus it will help calm everyone down. These things will help in any case and do no harm in the worst, but I’d have to be there to get a better idea of how bad they are. The antibiotics that you needed for the coccidia will weaken the immune system for other bacteria so that might be part of why you are having a problem. How are your shelters? Are there enough that every goat can get their own space? Is their feed moldy or dusty? It might just be the goats are having a rough start of it, but I wanted to ask if there are any other factors.

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I would at least give immune boosters. apple cider vinegar is the main one, I have found that GSE, grapefruit seed extract, is super effective against most infections. Dandelions are also really great for immune and respiratory support. Chamomile is an all time favorite and power house as well, plus it will help calm everyone down. These things will help in any case and do no harm in the worst, but I’d have to be there to get a better idea of how bad they are. The antibiotics that you needed for the coccidia will weaken the immune system for other bacteria so that might be part of why you are having a problem. How are your shelters? Are there enough that every goat can get their own space? Is their feed moldy or dusty? It might just be the goats are having a rough start of it, but I wanted to ask if there are any other factors.
Yes, enough space for everyone. They are getting grain about every other day but it is not moldy. I don't feed moldy anything to my animals. Hay is hay. It's from the same batch that I bought at the beginning of July.

messybun

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yes, enough space for everyone. They are getting grain about every other day but it is not moldy. I don't feed moldy anything to my animals. Hay is hay. It's from the same batch that I bought at the beginning of July.
Sounds perfect, I’m sorry you’re having so many problems with these guys!

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Never heard of it. But all 13 of my goats are like this. We have been having temps in the 80s during the day and into the 50s & 60s of the nights recently.

In this kind of weather and time of year, I'd be more inclined to think nasal bots instead of URI. Flies are particularly bad this year. It's an easy fix if you don't mind using dewormers and I figure you don't, since you got goats....dewormers are pretty much a fact of life with goats.

AlleysChicks

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Sounds perfect, I’m sorry you’re having so many problems with these guys!
Yeah my feed bill says they are fed good and proper lol I spend more on them a month than my own groceries. I try to make sure they have everything they need.

In this kind of weather and time of year, I'd be more inclined to think nasal bots instead of URI. Flies are particularly bad this year. It's an easy fix if you don't mind using dewormers and I figure you don't, since you got goats....dewormers are pretty much a fact of life with goats.
I've honestly not had much problems before these. Pinkeye (last year) and coccidia in one goat kid when I brought her home. I only deworm in the fall before breeding season if needed. My older goats are/were pretty hardy.