Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Diamond’s kids have sneezed a few times. They are two days old. They are all nursing well. No runny noses or nasal discharge. I even listened to lungs on two kids last night just to be sure and they are clear. (I’m a ICU RN. Boy, it’s hard to hear their lung sounds over their fast hearts!) They have not been chilled since birth but all shivered for a short time and the Doeling has to go in my shirt to get warm enough to eat. They are active though and are even trying to bounce some.

I never noticed this with our Boer kids and I want to be prepared.

All pointers welcome. When should I intervene with antibiotics? What should I watch for?

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
if they have no fever, and no runny noses. .. then I see nothing wrong with a few sneezes.

If it is very cold where you are little coats or jackets that will keep them warm even when peed on are good..... or.... you can set up a snuggle box for them to warm up in.

I set up a box with an always on heating pad covered by a fleece blanket (easy wash and warm even if peed on). My twins would snuggle in it and their mom would be right next to them. It worked well.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
if they have no fever, and no runny noses. .. then I see nothing wrong with a few sneezes.

If it is very cold where you are little coats or jackets that will keep them warm even when peed on are good..... or.... you can set up a snuggle box for them to warm up in.

I set up a box with an always on heating pad covered by a fleece blanket (easy wash and warm even if peed on). My twins would snuggle in it and their mom would be right next to them. It worked well.

They have a heated barrel. ;)

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
sounds good. .. except that you said the doeling needed to warm up in your shirt in order to nurse. ...

You want them to nurse as often as possible.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I think the in the shirt thing was only right after birth. :hu

Alaskan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'd put little jackets on them made from old sweatshirts.
the problem with sweatshirts is that they are often made out of cotton. Cotton when wet will freeze them quickly.

If it is super cold out they might need the coats for longer... like a week or even more... depending on your temperatures and how fast the kids get pudgy.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion! The Little doeling was born before I could get to the barn (2 human kids in tow.) She was starting to chill. I got her dry and it took her a bit to get warm. I ended up with her in my shirt while her dam was working on pushing out another kid so that I could keep her warm and work. I took my sweatshirt off and she was wrapped in that while I dried her brothers.

There has been no shivering since the first few minutes after birth.