Snotty nose

mystang89

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Still new to the whole sheep thing especially during the winter. Like everywhere else in the U.S. it's freezing and I've noticed frozen snot on one of my ewes nose. During the day the are in the pasture, at night in the barn. I try to keep the barn weekly cleaned. Is this normal

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could be quite a few things. Tell us how often it happens, what color and consistency the snot is, what other symptoms there are (especially temperature). Some things that come to mind are lungworms, nasal bots, general upper respiratory infection, pneumonia, bronchitis, allergies, and sudden weather change. If there's no temp, I usually do nothing unless there are other symptoms.

Sheepshape

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some ewes just DO seem a bit snotty at times, but it's important to exclude respiratory diseases and certain parasites (as mysunwolf says). Is the ewe unwell, salivating, short of breath/panting, off her food etc?. A snotty sheep who has any other symptom needs treatment. If there are no other symptoms and she isn't pouring huge amounts, she's probably just a bit sensitive to the cold.