Snotty nosed goat

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hey all, new here although I've been an occaisional lurker for years.

I've got two 6 month old alpine does. My first goats, yay!!! One of which has had a runny snotty nose since I purchased her a month ago.
Olive's eyes are clear, appetite is great, very active(maybe a bit too much considering the goat jail that I've, meaning my husband, has had to build.)
She does have an occaisional cough as well. She is fed a sweet feed twice a day, free choice hay(mixed grass and alfalfa) has free choice goat mineral block as well.

Id like to treat as naturally as possible. Not a big fan of abx unless absolutely needed.
What remedies/treatment plans do you all suggest.

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
First, I would start with having a fecal done to include coccidia. If they have any parasites, then treat appropriately. There has also been a lot of pneumonia this year so you may even want to take the goat into the vet and have her lungs listened to.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
the cough and runny nose may be related, and may not be. I would have a vet listen to her lungs. The cough could be feed, allergies, or lungworm (if you have lots of snails) . Runny nose could also be allergies. :hu I know this is not very helpful, but I, like you do not like to throw anything at my animals unless I know what it is. There are great people on here that can give you real good advice on treating naturally. "Elevan" has great info.

StoneWallFarmer

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Going to have a fecal done and get her lungs listened to, then go from there.

Thanks again :)

20kidsonhill

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Parasites are a great way to run down their immune system and cause them to be acceptable to a respitory infections. Like suggested, coccidiosis especially comes to mind. Also look through the hair at the base and check for lice.