Snuffles- Help Please!

Silver Whisper

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
One of our non breeders has had a bit of a weepy eye for about a month now, and this morning it was significantly worse. Does anyone have any ideas on how we can treat him? We aren't able to go to the vet for numerous reasons (one of them being that we only either have a rural or tow vet available), so is possible we would love if someone knows of something that might work.

When I first noticed Brambles eye, about four weeks ago, I just told my younger sister (the bunnies owner) to wash his eye every day with a bit of warm water. I think I just assumed it was no big deal, that he just had something in his tear duct etc. But back then there was only a bit of clear fluid, with a tiny bit of white stuff.

So she's been actually quite good at doing so, getting out the cotton buds just about every day (sometimes twice) to clean Brambles gooeys away. The only thing is it never really seemed to get any better, though it also didn't appear to be getting any worse. So the eye cleaning continued.

Then this morning, the poor wee critter was found in his hutch like this:

Not the very best of photos, but you can see his eye is well closed, with a very large amount of white 'snot'. The thing that's really got me puzzled though, is that other then his awful looking eye, he's apparently fine. There is no fluid at all around his nose, no matting on his paws, and his other eye is all bright and clear. He could be a little fatter, but I guess that's only to be expected :(

Here's Bramble after I cleaned him up a bit, with some more warm water, cotton buds and a little epsom salt. He still isn't looking much better, and you can see how puffed up his lower lid is:

So my guess is that with all the eye cleaning that's been going on, his eye never really had the time to get clogged up. And after cleaning was forgotten yesterday, it looks as though it's much worse then I thought.

Any help/ advise much appreciated!

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
not sure, is there any way he could have injured the eye? Is there any swelling around the eye area?

Are you able to keep him away from your other rabbits just as a precaution and handle him last.

Sorry I can be more help. :hugs

CochinBrahmaLover=)

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like snuffles. Looks more like an infection. Ditto, did he cut himself or something?

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I agree, sounds more like an infection. Rabbits are too susceptible to problems from injectible antibiotics, but they are similar to cats. Check if your pet store or feed store has an opthalmic antibiotic ointment for cats and try it.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Vetricine. It works wonders! I have a doe who scratches the corner of her eye ALL the time. She got infected once and a fellow breeder suggested it. It cleared it up and now I use it whenever she does and have not had any infections. I ordered it on amazon and got it at the feed store. Not weepy eye most likely.