Snuffles (Pasteurellosis)

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I'm looking to see if anyone has dealt with this disease before? None of my rabbits have (thank goodness) but I was wondering is it contagious when no rabbit show signs? Could they get it from being in the same room? I took my rabbits to a show this past weekend and found out from a friend of mine that she took a rabbit that just showed signs of Snuffles the following days... now I'm not 100% sure if my rabbits were in the same judging holes as her but is it possible that they could catch it now? I read that it can be passed threw clothing... she was holding some of my rabbits and typing them. What kind of makes me mad is she knew that the rabbit was sick... but never showed any signs so she thought it was ok to bring the rabbit? :he

I'm just worried now that my rabbits could have it now. Does anyone know how long it takes to how signs? I check my rabbits each day to make sure they have no discharge and/or runny noses. Thank you for any possible help!

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Oh-boy. What a not so great position to be in ! :(

Snuffles is Very contagious. We lost a good many animals to it years back, because a breeder / exhibitor in the breed we raised, put rabbits on the table that had it. The exhibitor actually wiped the rabbits noses off just before putting them on the table ! The judge said nothing... and handled each rabbit... checking teeth ect. right down the line. The aftermath was not something i ever want to go thru again!

I am not certain what the incubation peruod is, and can only suggest that You keep checking noses and front legs. Some animals may not even show symptoms until they are under stressful situations.

I had really hoped that, during our 15 year hiatus from rabbits, that either an actual Cure would have been found, or that people would wise-up and cull out affected animals ! :barnie

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mea said:
Oh-boy. What a not so great position to be in ! :(

Snuffles is Very contagious. We lost a good many animals to it years back, because a breeder / exhibitor in the breed we raised, put rabbits on the table that had it. The exhibitor actually wiped the rabbits noses off just before putting them on the table ! The judge said nothing... and handled each rabbit... checking teeth ect. right down the line. The aftermath was not something i ever want to go thru again!

I am not certain what the incubation peruod is, and can only suggest that You keep checking noses and front legs. Some animals may not even show symptoms until they are under stressful situations.

I had really hoped that, during our 15 year hiatus from rabbits, that either an actual Cure would have been found, or that people would wise-up and cull out affected animals ! :barnie
What just eats at me the most is that she knew!!! :somad
I'll just keep a very close eye on everyone! I was thinking about taking them to a show this next month but I may not, most likely just stress them out... thank you for your reply!

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
If the rabbit did not show symptoms until after the show... maybe she did not know ? Perhaps that animal picked it up at the show ?? :hu

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mea said:
If the rabbit did not show symptoms until after the show... maybe she did not know ? Perhaps that animal picked it up at the show ?? :hu
Oh no, she knew. She told me that she put the doe in with a buck that she knew was sick in the quarantine room. That's how the doe got sick. She is even selling the doe now! :idunno

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Heartlandrabbitry said:
Mea said:
Oh no, she knew. She told me that she put the doe in with a buck that she knew was sick in the quarantine room. That's how the doe got sick. She is even selling the doe now! :idunno
:ep :he :somad :barnie

(so at a loss for words !)

Heartlandrabbitry

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Mea said:
Heartlandrabbitry said:
Mea said:
:ep :he :somad :barnie

(so at a loss for words !)
I know, I'm speechless too....
What's weird is the same exact thing happen to her and her friend. They brought a few ND's back from Californian and killed about 20 of their herd... and now look what she is doing? I'm speechless :barnie

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So what is the deal with Snuffles? Is it curable? We had a doe sneezing and looked to have a wet face so we moved her in and did a full course of antibiotics from the vet. She has been inside for two + weeks. Is she cured? Is she contagious? The vet said she should be fine now but I don't want to breed her or infect the others if she's contagious! But she's been in a carrying cage for two weeks and I have dwarves to move inside. Help!

CYG

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
CYGChickies said:
So what is the deal with Snuffles? Is it curable? We had a doe sneezing and looked to have a wet face so we moved her in and did a full course of antibiotics from the vet. She has been inside for two + weeks. Is she cured? Is she contagious? The vet said she should be fine now but I don't want to breed her or infect the others if she's contagious! But she's been in a carrying cage for two weeks and I have dwarves to move inside. Help!

CYG
My understanding of snuffles..... is the only way to be positive it is snuffles or some other respiratory sickness it to have a nasal culture done. ( Not cheap btw.) Then the vet can prescribe the correct treatment for it. Actual snuffles has a very low 'cure' rate and a high incidence of reoccuring in stressful situations.

There are other things besides snuffles that can cause sneezing...dust, pollen ( like humans with that) hay molds. Clear mucous might Not be snuffles... usually White mucous is.

Hoping for the best for you.

CYGChickies

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I have no clue if it was white or clear since she's white. She didn't seem to ever have any mucus on her paws or more than just a tiny line of it on her nostrils. I'd be sad to get rid of her but that'd be better than spreading it. Ugh my vet is gone until Monday. I guess I'll have to keep her in the empty barn until I know for sure to keep the new inside rabbits that are coming this weekend safe.

CYG

Latest posts