Snuffles? What is the resistance rate?

How should I proceed with my rabbits?

• Cull them all and start again

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cull the sick and breed for immunity

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Treat for sickness, see a vet (not going to happen, they are not pets)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Purple_grape84

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to your site, and new to rabbits. I used to have rabbits when I was in highschool, but that was 20+years ago. I don't think my rabbits ever had anything, they were meat rabbits then and they are again now. The rabbits live in a large area together for now, 20'x30', on a concrete floor with straw. I just bought the farm and am still setting up. They have hay and straw bales stacked against one wall to make burrows in and live a semi natural and active life. This set up does not allow for close regular inspection.

I got all of my breeders from a local guy, so I assume they are all exposed. I have had the rabbits for about 3 months now and I have had 2 that have had sores and snuffles. The first one I culled was 2wks ago, I thought it was beat up by a bigger male because the soars were on the hind quarters. My second one I just noticed the soar between her shoulder blades, can't see her getting bit there, she really stays on her own. She also has gunk around her nose and sneezes a lot.

I also have 2 does that I have noticed have rasping breathing, don't know how long the younger girl has had it, but the older doe has had it since I got her.

I guess my question is: since the bacteria is inherent in rabbits naturally (from what I've read) will all my rabbits eventually get it and die? or will some stay healthy and have immunity. I have at least two babies that have been born (and lived) that are running around now, maybe 4-6wks. I have had a couple litters born, might be first litters, that died. I assumed they froze, -40C will do that, but now I'm wondering if it also affects new borns, or causes still births?

Thanks,

B&B Happy goats

Herd Master
Reaction score
I keep my rabbits 4 feet off the ground because we live in florida...
What lived on the concrete before the rabbits ?
Straw can have mites or lice in it...
Dust from tunneling into the hay could be a cause of the snuffles
What was the sellers set up ?

Try pvc cut up for tunnels, may not want to keep more than one male inside that area, and i have seen females tear the testicals off a male if she is in a nasty mood.... i have NZ meat rabbits and flemisg giants...they are all kept off the ground here for parasites and other nasty things that grow in hot damp climates....good luck, may want to isolate the healthy from the ones in question and see if it helps any

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Colony style looks so appealing until there is one sick rabbit, which usually means more than one. It is hard enough to utilize quarantine protocols with a sick rabbit in a rabbitry of cages off the ground with success, but colony style is nearly impossible to stop the spread of any illness.

I cannot say that this will be a cure, but the only sneezes my rabbits have ever had was from dusty hay or high pollen. I add a teaspoon of 3% food grade hydrogen peroxide per gallon of water as I have done for the 8 years we have had rabbits. The extra oxygen supports their immune systems. I also feed organic pellets so that they have a better fighting chance with less toxins in their bodies.

Purple_grape84

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. I think I will isolate the rabbits as I see issues with them. Might be the hay, except for the sores. Their tunnels currently go through straw and hay, but they've been using that for 3 months now. Maybe a bit of wait and see for the next little bit.

I'm just not set up to seperate into cages at this time.
I will start adding peroxide, alternating with Apple Cider Vinegar that I recently started adding again. I was adding ACV when I first got them.

rosti

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I had an outbreak shortly after I started with rabbits, in the winter. Lost a few(sent one in for necropsy, so it was verified what it was), culled the rest, and haven’t had anymore cases since then(over two years ago). I didn’t do any special cleaning or anything, though maybe I should have.