Snuffles with no discharge?

Farmer Jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2 month old Standard Rex buck from a breeder that I have purchased other rabbits from. 2 days after coming home with me, I heard him sneeze which alarmed me because I lost a beautiful rabbit to snuffles 10 years ago. I immediately quarantined him from my other rabbits and gave him a single dose of tetracycline in his water. I disinfected his cage, changed his shavings and kept a close eye on him. He has never had any nasal discharge or weepy eyes and no matted fur on his paws. He is now in a new cage out of the shavings, but yet he continues to sneeze. When my previous rabbit mentioned above had snuffles, it had all the other symptoms included with the sneeze. Can a rabbit have snuffles and only sneeze or could it be something else? Wouldn't there be discharge by now if it was snuffles?

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not sure but it will be interesting to hear what others have to say. Are you feeding hay....if so maybe that is bothering?

Farmer Jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Yes I am feeding a handful of Alfalfa hay a day. Stopped that for a couple days before moving to his new cage and he seemed to sneeze less. Maybe should eliminate it for now and see if there is a difference. Maybe he's allergic to it. I think the breeder was feeding him strictly pellets and he was in a wire bottom cage.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
Alfalfa hay can be very dusty/leafy and could be causing sneezing when the particles are inhaled. Rabbits often sneeze after drinking as well as the moisture goes up the nose! I would definitely try removing the hay entirely and see how he does. :)

Farmer Jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Thanks I will. I was just finishing up a bag I purchased before I got my bales of Timothy Hay . I'll give him a break from hay altogether and see if that helps before trying the Timothy Hay.

Hens and Roos

Herd Master
Reaction score
Keep us posted. Interesting about sneezing after drinking water. If you can't totally rule out snuffles are you planning to breed with buck?

Farmer Jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I did intend to breed this buck because of his unique colouring however I will wait to make sure he is healthy first.

Farmer Jenn

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Just wanted to update on my sneezing bunny George. He still sneezes occasionally but it has been weeks and he has never had any nasal or eye discharge at any time. I think it must be an allergy. Eliminated the alfalfa hay but he eats Timothy hay every couple of days. He is back in closer proximity to my other rabbits and they all seem fine with no sneezing so I'm thinking it is not snuffles.....and I am glad because this bunny has a super personality and is a delight to watch and play with.