1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. Bee Hives. Swarm information, history, lessons and more
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Snuggle Bugs

Discussion in 'Behaviors & Handling Techniques - Sheep' started by bmarie, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Jun 30, 2017
    bmarie

bmarie Exploring the pasture

Everytime I go out to my lambs I sit down with them and they "snuggle up" and get a bunch of petting. This morning, Sweetheart starting licking my arms and hands - is this considered affection or is it the salt from my skin? Do they need salt/mineral blocks?

2. Jul 1, 2017
    goatgurl

goatgurl True BYH Addict

I laughed when I read your question, not because its weird or anything but because mine do the same thing and I don't have an awnser for you. both my sheep and my goats will lick me sometimes and then sometimes not and they have free choice salt and minerals before them all the time so I can't imagine they are needing salt. i'd like to think it is a show of affection but who knows. I sure hope someone has a good answer for you.

3. Jul 1, 2017
    Sheepshape

Sheepshape True BYH Addict

I think it's affectionate, too. BUT.......isn't the lamb tongue rough? My cats don't have tongues as 'prickly' as the lambs and the dog....well....his tongue is SO soft and slobbery. I guess I'm just easily licked!