So I have a climbing goats....

Alexz7272

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I'm ready to shoot her, she keeps climbing the fence and I think I fix it and she finds another spot. I'm losing my patience....what voltage do I need for running an electrical wire across the top? Or should I do around the bottom? And yes I've tighten the fence and yes I am trying to save up for the goat fencing. Thank you... :(

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most say top and bottom. I had an escape artist too. She hasn't tried lately but she was about to learn what electricity was!

As for voltage, I have no idea. We have two fence chargers but my husband deals with them and I just know how to turn them on and off. :hide

Ferguson K

Herd Master
Reaction score
My escape artist jumps right over the hot wire, too.

We have a 2 joule fence running our property. Normally for bulls and elk.... works great on goats. ;)

Last edited:

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wow. What kind of goat jumps the hot wire? After having only Nigerians I discovered how woefully inadequate my fencing was the day I brought home my mini alpines. Yikes!

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
One joule charger will work if it is well grounded. Three ground rods may be needed. I put a wire at goat knee height and at the top. You can also get those step in posts and run a wire inside the fence by a foot or so, don't give them the chance to get close enough to the fence to jump or climb.

Latest posts