secuono

Herd Master
Reaction score
30x70in cavy mansion

20170402_125602.jpg

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Too tiny to bother. Anything smaller than an 6# meat-bred rabbit isn't worth the effort.

I'm with you... although little game birds can be great thrown in a crock pot. My friend says Guinea (not pig but birds) is reall good just not alot on the bird.

I do always find it interesting of what others eat in different countries. For us though our little guinea pig is simply a family pet and will remain so. :D

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
They taste just like boneless, skinless chicken breast.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I guess food is regulated by what is available. We are so blessed in this country to have practically anything we want. Other countries foods may sound strange to us, but maybe our diet sounds weird to them.

I would try cavy, but I don't think I would want to raise them as a food source.

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
Some pics from this post were scrolling on the home page. @secuono and others, I have some questions for you! I’ve always had gerbils but felt they were too small when we were looking for something and thought the kids might injure them. Opted for something a bit larger but not known for biting. (I’d been around several as class pets.)

We got ours New Year’s Eve 2016 so they will be two in November.

-They create a lot of dust and mess. We use a dust free, odorless bedding but I’m not necessarily impressed. I know that it’s better than wood shavings though. (I saw that you have towels and @Southern by choice has some type of fake grass??)
-Hay is the absolute worst part of the mess. We use hay from the barn and bring it in using a feed sack for two beats at a time. They spread out more from their wire feeder that came with their cage than I do.
-They attract gnats. I clean their cage weekly but they still attract gnats. We have to keep a gnat trap on top of their pen. Some of the problem would be all of the fruits and veggies that I give them but they clean up the majority quickly so it’s not like it’s just sitting out and decomposing.
-Has anyone cut their pig’s nails? I’ve tried and don’t feel like I’m qualified. I have trimmed dog nails for years (personal and on the job) so it’s not like I don’t have experience. We did add a brick for the excess water to be absorbed into from their water bottle. (One was dripping and come to find out the rubber washed was missing so we replaced the whole thing. I left the brick in case it was helping wear down their nails.)
-Mine are food snobs and only eat fresh and the highest quality food! It has to come from PetSmart or there’s a brand I can get by with in a pinch from Orscheln. Forget the WalMart kind. They’ll starve! (This was just tried in a desperate attempt when we didn’t realize we were out and everything else was closed.)
-Any other thoughts/pointers/tips?

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
Great info WH....but...uh....there is one more thing.... male's need to be cleaned...down there... :sick

Latest posts