So there is some serious speculation that Cissy is pregnant

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I guess my next question is, if she is not pregnant, what do I do with the udder? She doesn't appear to have mastitis (not tender, no foul smell, not hot to touch and so on).

lilhill

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Okay, here's a personal experience I had last year. One of my does was bred (I hand breed), but I could never quite be sure she settled. She had a couple of cycles after that breeding, but when I'd take her to the buck, she'd run like I'd poured scalded water on her. I dogged her constantly looking for any definite sign that would relieve my tired mind whether she was or wasn't. She never looked pregnant, and from the pooch test, was open. Her vulva never smoothed out as it generally does when pregnant, and stayed all wrinkled up ... UNTIL a couple weeks before her "due" date when I noticed she had developed an udder and her vulva would open up when she was laying down. Aha! She is pregnant. Right on her due date, a big, healthy buckling. Never any indication that I could tell for certain whether she was pregnant or not. Pooch test failed me in her case. In your doe's case, I think I'd just keep a watchful eye on her. She may be one of those that will "surprise" you.

lupinfarm

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sneeky little thing! ... I'll keep an eye out anyway. It's really confusing because Kerry thinks she was bred right after the baby was weaned, but I'm pretty sure I heard her say she was in with a buck a couple weeks ago (this would have been around the end of July) with another doe. The lady has small kids, lots of them, LOL so you can imagine it would be hard to keep track of everything all-the-time, especially since she isn't a breeder and they were just pets.

I guess time will tell!, either way the goat house has to be built lol.

kimmyh

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Via the pooch test she appears open to me, there is too much wrinkling in the area of the anus, the indentation above the anus is deep. The vulva may or may not elongate, I don't count on that one.