So this happened......

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks. They are by far the prettiest little ones we have. I need a Star Trek scanner to check her. Anyone have one I can borrow? Lol

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She passed a placenta then laid down. Then jumped up, paced a bit, pawed at the ground and now is just staring off into space. No placenta bubble or anything. Another placenta is dangling so guessing maybe she's cramping from needing to pass that?

Wehner Homestead

Herd Master
Reaction score
She should be done by now with kidding. If she is still pushing around, you need to scrub, glove up, and go in for a check. Kids presenting improperly inhibits progression.

Placenta doesn’t always pass right away. I have a cow that has a retained placenta. Our vet and research recommended letting her be and watching for signs of infection. Says that she will clean out with her next cycle. We did do a shot to help her clear it but I didn’t think it did anything. (Used lute.)

I’ll try to check back later for an update. It’s been hard for me to be on very much lately.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
She must be done but I caught her attacking the babies! What the crap? I held her so they could eat again but as soon as I let her go she tried slamming one against a wall again. I put her back outside with hay and water and put the babies in my bathroom with a heater on low and lots of beds and blankets.

Is there any chance I can get her to accept them? We have bottle fed before, and have Bo Sheep weaned down to one bottle a day and ready to go outside as soon as the weather cooperates. I reallllllllly don't want more bottle babies though.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Ok took babies out to her because she was at the back door crying. She did not want to let them feed at first and I had to hold her. She did eventually settle down and seemed better with them but still got ugly with Thelma. She didn't attack her but was spitting at her and would walk away and leave her. I let them get their fill then brought them back inside. I don't trust her and definitely wouldn't want them around the others.

Any thoughts?

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to hold them. I have only two kids actually rejected in 10 years and many many kiddings but it does happen. If she is being mean it can be dangerous so not much you can do but hold her and let them nurse.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sometimes you just have to hold them. I have only two kids actually rejected in 10 years and many many kiddings but it does happen. If she is being mean it can be dangerous so not much you can do but hold her and let them nurse.
Thanks. Thats the current plan. Im hoping she eventually fully accepts them and settles into being a good mom. Fingers crossed!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
I haven't had any lambs rejected. I did have a few FF this year that were iffy, but I tied them up and let the lambs nurse several times. I think their udders were tight and sore, the lambs bumping them made it worse. After several hours of unwilling forced feedings, they realized they had babies and it was ok. I hope you can get your ewe to take her babies.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I haven't had any lambs rejected. I did have a few FF this year that were iffy, but I tied them up and let the lambs nurse several times. I think their udders were tight and sore, the lambs bumping them made it worse. After several hours of unwilling forced feedings, they realized they had babies and it was ok. I hope you can get your ewe to take her babies.

Me too! We are like [--] this close to moving Bo outside and I realllllllllllly don't want to bottle feed two more. They belong with their mom.

We took them out back again last night and held her while they ate. She seemed interested for a short period the bailed on them and took off while they stood with us crying for her. Poor little things. So I brought them back in and put them in the guest bathroom. Mixed some kid milk and tried a bottle this morning. Louise took right to it but Thelma was totally fighting it. I will run them back out to her this morning once I get the herd turned out.

Mrs1885

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Update!

Lil still isn't a great mom but she's getting better. I take the babies out every few hours. I'm hoping over time she will get better and eventually I can move the babies to a pen with her. She definitely prefers Louise and is more nurturing toward her, while Thelma gets little attention, but is at least allowed to eat without me holding Lil down. Fingers crossed for improving maternal skills!

Latest posts