So what's wrong with pigs?

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
Every time we've had pigs, they start out sweet enough, occasional rooting, running around, doing pig stuff. But as they get bigger they seem to get meaner, and by the time they're at slaughtering size I'm always glad to see them go. We keep them in pens, so I've always assumed that maybe they get bored and have to take it out on me. But I am scared to go in the pens with them unless I have just recently fed them; otherwise, they spend the whole time trying to eat my shoes, root me off my feet, or slam repeatedly into my legs as a funny game. None of the pigs we've had have ever tried to bite me, though.

Are pigs just like this? Is it because ours are often bottle raised? Is it because they're penned and bored? What's the deal? With different litters in different years I have tried ignoring the behavior (no change), rewarding good behavior with scratches (they trample me down worse to get more scratches), and smacking them on the nose with sticks (makes them angry and aggressive). Any training tricks? Or do I have the wrong individual pigs or breeds of pigs?

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Darn good question! I want to know the answer too, as we plan on getting a couple of feeder pigs this coming spring.

islandgal99

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I would suspect it's boredom, but could also be parasites like lice and such that make them uncomfortable and grumpy, and it can also be that they are the boss - they can smell that you are scared. I've seen them appear to become frustrated when they can't use their hoofs and hands, and get grumpy about that too. My main herd of Ossabaw is in 2 acres of woodlands, and they are always out foraging and exploring. I think they like the variety. I can walk with my pigs anytime, except for some mommas with babies I take the hint and don't, and I still pack a stick ALWAYS when in the pasture with the boars. Maybe if you teach them belly rubs, they won't mow you down and will instead flop over - most of mine are taught belly rubs. I also believe that sometimes they don't know their own strength and don't really intend to hurt anyone.

BrownSheep

Lost in the flock
Reaction score
I would guess it is because they are bottle raised. Bottle raised anything tend to be a little on the meaner side and less respectful of humans. I've never raised pigs but have been around them and even the pigs that spend a week in small pens at the fair never seem so bored as to take it out on people.

jk47

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I font know about you but when I get my feeder pigs I spend a good hour or more just standing in the pen eventually l began to pet them and brush them when if their getting to aggressive then my liking I just lightly hit them on their ears and when the get a little older when they do something I dont like i give them a good back hand and I do that every time they do it eventually they learn to stop just by seeing the back of my hand and then I say good pig when they stop before I have to slap one of them and then they do learn
And I must do something right becuse all of the pigs have raised were super docile by the time they were processed and yes pigs love to bit boots and pants legs and rubbing
On fences and what not

Sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
@jk47 you've had more success than I did! Some of mine also went bad, biting us and just being a pain in general. Pigs are VERY intelligent creatures and I guess they do get bored and frustrated when penned up, so when a bit of human entertainment enters the pen...

Has anyone of you read Si Montgomery's book "The good, good pig"? Wonderful read.

nanne16

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I enjoy all the farm animals we have had, just real leary of pigs. Scaredy cat.....I admit! :lol:

M.L. McKnight

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Before you are forever convinced that hogs are evil barnyard bullies, I think you'd be well served to seek out a copy of "Storey's Guide to Raising Pigs" by Kelly Kloeber.

Any pig I have ever had has begun training the same way: I reach in the pen and pet their snout. They will undoubtedly open their mouth to nip at my hands and I give them a quick smack, then my hand goes RIGHT BACK to where it was. This game of 'snout smack' continues until they have tried my hand and been smacked three or four times and then they realize that my hands are not to be tasted.
I get in the pens/fields with all of my pigs. When they are younger they will nip at your boots, they don't want to rip off your feet and consume you from the ground up, pigs are just curious. I have had dozens of baby pigs tackle me boot high and ruin umpteen pairs of rubber boots over the years, I've never had so much as a scratch on my feet though.
When your pigs are rubbing on you, they just want to have their backs scratched. Think of Baloo from 'Jungle Book' when he's got that itch and is rubbing on everything- same idea. Just put a t-post in the ground and they will scratch on that instead of you.
My hogs have all been gentled and even though they have posts they find the need to rub on me, this gets my jeans dirty and after a quick scratch they get back to foraging.

Since you are eating the pigs you raise you might not want to get too close to them. I'd suggest that you do the extra hands on work and gentle your pigs. Don't think "Oh no, I can't eat Wilbur because I pet him everytime I went down to feed..." Yes you can and he'll be delicious! A pig raised in a gentle way will taste much better than a neglected one. Your pig will have a better quality of life, you will feel better because you'll know you did everything you could for it and you'll notice the difference when you are sitting down to dinner.

LeviS

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I enjoy all the farm animals we have had, just real leary of pigs. Scaredy cat.....I admit! :lol:
x2, we only had pigs for short periods of time when I was growing up but they are the one animal I'm to this day, still scared of.

mysunwolf

Herd Master
Reaction score
M.L. McKnight, we've always socialized our pigs, and they learn not to bite very quickly. Most of them have learned the "belly rub flop," but I have one right now that hasn't learned it and so it's hard to control her for sure. We give them good scratches on the backs, and talk to them, and (when they were smaller) have gone in the pen to just hang out with them. I'm really not scared of eating my pets...

My problem is the part where they come running from the far end of the pen straight to me and bash into the sides of my legs. I am not a big person and they have almost knocked me off my feet quite a few times. They think it's a game, since that's how they play with each other. I don't know how to get them to not do that in the first place. And if they're hungry, well, let's just say that the "play" turns into frustration very quickly--frustration that the food dispenser is not dispensing food.

jk47, I have to admit I'm reluctant to hit them at all for fear that the neighbors will turn me in! But they are so rough with each other (we've seen some piglets with scars all on their faces from brother/sister fights) that it seems that's the only way they understand you mean business.

BrownSheep, I've had quite a few people tell me this one, I think you're right. I'm not sure WHY exactly that kind of closeness leads to bad things when general socializing of a weaned pig would lead to good things, though.

islandgal, you seem to think highly of pigs! I hope you're right since I would like to have a small group of smaller (300#) pigs that forage in my pastures someday, but it's hard knowing that pigs are pigs are pigs no matter the size.

And that SOUND when they're hungry for their grain can make just about anyone crazy! You all, I think we're right to be scared of pigs.

Latest posts