Socializing a rabbit?

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
So I have this rabbit and he is very anti-social. He lets me pick him up and touch him, but he won't approach me, and he claws me when I put him back down. He was neglected by his previous owner, so I'm pretty sure he isn't used to people. What are some ways to make him friendlier, other than patience and TLC? Thanks!

Gagroundhog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I like to find a tasty treat they like and give them a tidbit whenever I visit. New rabbits soon get the idea that I have tasty treats and my coming and going is a good thing.
I also give a treat after handling as a reward. :)

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
What do you use as a treat? I don't want to give too many carrots, as I heard they are high in sugar and wild rabbits don't actually eat them (they eat the tops).

If it helps, I feed timothy hay and pellets. (I can't afford to buy real food yet.)

Gagroundhog

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
If your rabbit isn't accustomed to greens, you can start with small amounts so you won't upset his system of parsley or small slices of carrot. Dark leafy greens but not anything from the cabbage family.

I saw where you were from, there probably isn't much in the yard right now. LOL Talked to a friend in Michigan the other day, I'm in Georgia. Normally I use dandelion, parsley, grass or sliced carrot about half inch thick. (not all my rabbits like carrot)

At first your rabbit may not eat it in front of you but will soon look forward to you showing up with a treat.

Check out the section on feeding, you should be able to find list of lots of natural foods for rabbits to eat. For example I grow wheatgrass for mine in winter. :)

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
amy bart said:
If your rabbit isn't accustomed to greens, you can start with small amounts so you won't upset his system of parsley or small slices of carrot. Dark leafy greens but not anything from the cabbage family.

I saw where you were from, there probably isn't much in the yard right now. LOL Talked to a friend in Michigan the other day, I'm in Georgia. Normally I use dandelion, parsley, grass or sliced carrot about half inch thick. (not all my rabbits like carrot)

At first your rabbit may not eat it in front of you but will soon look forward to you showing up with a treat.

Check out the section on feeding, you should be able to find list of lots of natural foods for rabbits to eat. For example I grow wheatgrass for mine in winter. :)
Thanks! And no, there isn't much in the yard. It just snowed/freezing rained last night. Why can't they eat anything from the cabbage family? I thought cabbage was nutritious for them.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
Cabbage is reputed to give a rabbit gas. Also, members of the cabbage family contain an enzyme that interferes with the absorption of iodine. If a rabbit eats enough, it can give the rabbit goiter (symptom of iodine deficiency).

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Ohh. Well, that's good to know. Thank you!

wooliewabbits

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I have a rabbit that is not very cuddly. I just kept giving her treats. Now she eats out of my hand.:)

Back to Nature

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
wooliewabbits said:
I have a rabbit that is not very cuddly. I just kept giving her treats. Now she eats out of my hand.:)
I'll try that. A lot of sources say parsley; I'll try that.

Pancake in the River

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I also find that it helps to have their cage in a busy area of the house/yard. Not so much so that they can't relax and have their privacy, but enough that they get used to the sounds and movement that happens around them. This helped me socialize my babies so that they aren't as skittish when allowed to roam free. :D