Solving a gloves equipment issue?

Nao57

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
So I thought this would be an interesting thing to ask you guys about.

Do you guys use those old style thick leather gloves?

I like these they are awesome. But there's one drawback in that after you are using them for a couple months the buildup of stuff caked into them makes the fingers so stiff and tight and hard to move.

I wanted to ask if there's a trick to fixing them from this issue? I'm sure others have run into this before. The gloves themselves are in great condition and last a long time, just that its hard to keep them from turning into feeling like cement is caked on them.

I'm also curious how many others end up with this issue?

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
Have you tried using saddle soap on them? Lightly on all the fingers. Moisture makes them get hard. It's the only difficult thing about leather. Use when new, but add as needed. All over helps keep them pliable and easier to wear.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Wash them to remove the ick and then soak them in fabric softener overnight, then rinse lightly, pat dry and let them dry. My son did the fabric softener soak with his leather boots to remove odors from work and it did the trick, while also keeping the leather supple.

frustratedearthmother

Herd Master
Reaction score
We used to do saddle soap and Neat's-foot oil to keep headstalls and reins supple. But, fabric softener sounds a lot easier, lol!

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

I like these they are awesome. But there's one drawback in that after you are using them for a couple months the buildup of stuff caked into them makes the fingers so stiff and tight and hard to move.

I wanted to ask if there's a trick to fixing them from this issue? I'm sure others have run into this before. The gloves themselves are in great condition and last a long time, just that its hard to keep them from turning into feeling like cement is caked on them.

When mine are brand new, I turn 'em inside out and rub lanolin liberally into the whole inside - then I turn 'em right, and leave them where they'll stay warm - so the stuff soaks into the leather. They'll be kinda stiff when cold, but soften as your hands warm them up. Makes 'em supple, too. The grease kinda repels most stuff - not all, but most..

wolf

Loving the herd life
Reaction score

When mine are brand new, I turn 'em inside out and rub lanolin liberally into the whole inside - then I turn 'em right, and leave them where they'll stay warm - so the stuff soaks into the leather. They'll be kinda stiff when cold, but soften as your hands warm them up. Makes 'em supple, too. The grease kinda repels most stuff - not all, but most..