Resource icon

some of my goats never grow horns

EmilyVioletElithabeth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
EmilyVioletElithabeth submitted a new resource:

some of my goats never grow horns - hornless goats

I have some goats on my farm that never grow horns. In fact I have three generations of the hornless goats and every now and then I get a goats with horns. do you know why this is happening?
11156269_644565145677042_6743097917010809207_n.jpg

This is one of the baby's that never grow horns

Read more about this resource...

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because you are lucky and you have polled goats. If a polled ("hornless") goat is bred to a goat with horns some of the offspring may not have horns. The offspring can pass this genetic trait on their kids but it will never skip a generation. It takes a polled doe or buck to get polled kids, having polled grandsire or granddam will not produce polled kids.

I have 4 polled does, would love some more. This last year I had 0 polled goats born; hoping for some this next year.

There is a debate on whether or not you should breed a polled doe to a polled buck. Some say you run a risk of have does born that are hermaphrodites; others say that that isn't the case and that it makes no difference. I don't have a polled buck so I have no opinion and no way to test the theory.

EmilyVioletElithabeth

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I have one polled goat one my farm that is not related to some other polled goats. if one had a baby boy, and I used him to breed to the goats that are not related to him, do you think there will be a greater chans that the kids will never grow horns.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yes, there would be a greater chance but as I mentioned above, there is some debate as to the wisdom in breeding polled to polled; makes no difference if they are related or not, you may still run the chance of hermaphrodites being born. I personally won't do it in my herd, but that doesn't mean that I wouldn't love a polled buck to use on all my does that have horns.

Here is an article explaining polled genetics.

http://www.americangoatsociety.com/education/polled_genetics.php