Some old goats never die

Mr Fixit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Hello all. Well, I finally took the time to sign up. We live in Mississippi, and raise horses, goats and chickens.
20171222_151735.jpg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH. Glad to have you along with us. Please make yourself at home and browse around. Jump in when you feel the call.

Mr Fixit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Two of my kids(human... ha only goat people would laugh) and I went to the local livestock sale barn yesterday with 4 billy goats for sale and incendently picked up a nice gelding. Paid $50 bucks for him and mighty pleased. He is a very tame but slightly malnourished. My 4 yr old and 10 yr old are ecstatic as well. The weather has been in the 20s here so can't wait for it to warm up some so we can give him a bath. I do have a few livestock related questions for someone who knows more than me, so here goes. Do you have a sale barn in your area and if so what is the price average per goat, sheep, horse, pig? Here in North Miss the average for pigs is .50 cents per pound. Goats are $20-$80 a head. Sheep are cheap as well. These prices seem really low to me so I'm curious to know livestock prices around the country and world.

CntryBoy777

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from NW Mississippi!!....:frow
We have goats, chickens, ducks, cats, and a dog here on our place. Your buck sure looks nice and the gelding looks like a good deal....just a little work and he should be putting on some weight and looking fine. Glad ya joined up and hope ya hang around....there's plenty of great people here and the atmosphere is Warm....tho, those temps sure are Cool.
Again.....:welcome

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
A lot of folks on here "frown" on sale barns due to the fact that unless you really know what you're doing, folks "unload" less desirable animals there, and you could get "taken"... Suppose it's different if you're selling, but not sure you'd get the best price that way as opposed to selling privately like through Craig's List or some such.

Mr Fixit

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Other than buying a sick animal unawares, dont see how you could get "taken", since you view animals before bidding. I have been taken using craigslist plenty of times, though.

Latest posts