Some questions about new rabbits

PhilippaMiles

Just born
Reaction score
I breed Holland Lops, but when it comes to any other rabbis, I'm completely clueless. I recently rescued 2 young rabbits, a buck and a doe. I'm not sure what breed(s) they are, as well as how old they are. I would love anyones opinion on them.
P.S. they were just together for a few hours and for pictures because they came together and i didn't want to stress them to much by moving AND separating them. And the pen they're in was temporary while i set cages up.

IMG_0402.jpg
IMG_0401.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg

animalmom

Herd Master
Reaction score
Sweet looking rabbits and good for you rescuing them. They look like they have English Spot in them with something else. They are considered a medium breed -- 5-8 lbs whereas you Hollands get around 4 lbs.

Guessing a rabbit's age is tricky... how they look, as in do they look baby-like, doe the doe have a dewlap, are the buck's testicles descended? Looking at the teeth will basically tell you if the teeth are overgrown, but that doesn't necessarily mean an old rabbit as it could just mean the rabbits haven't had enough gnaw-ables.

I raise California and the does seem to start getting their dewlaps, itty bitty dewlaps, during the 4th month. The bucks testicles seem to descend during the 5th month. Just my guesses based on my rabbits.

Enjoy your new bunns!

Feel free, as in greatly encouraged, to post pictures and even start a journal. We all learn by the experiences of others. Also, would you mind putting a general area location in your profile. It is helpful in answering some questions to know what part of the country you are in. What works for rabbits in Maine will probably not work as well for rabbits in Texas. Please and thank you.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
They are not English spots, but rather spotted brokens. As to the breed, there are others on this board that would be better suited to identification than I am.

PhilippaMiles

Just born
Reaction score
@animalmom thank you! I will definitely update my profile. I think they may have wild rabbit mixed in as well, somebody thought it was ok to release domestic rabbits into the wild. Poor things, I’m surprised they survived long enough to reproduce

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think they may have wild rabbit mixed in as well, somebody thought it was ok to release domestic rabbits into the wild. Poor things, I’m surprised they survived long enough to reproduce

Unless you live in Europe or Australia, it is not possible to have wild rabbit mixed in - the domestic rabbit and the North American wild rabbits cannot interbreed. Looking at the size of the ears, I'm thinking probably some dwarf breed mix.