Someone tell me why my LGD just grabbed and pinned my goat...

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
This is really bad goatboy. How old is your dog?
Is this with kids only or adults too?
Immediately get a prong collar keep him on lead and if he even looks funny at the animal you correct immediately. Smacking hitting will do nothing . Sharp pull and firm No, you may need to roll him.

Prong collars are extremely effective, they do not hurt the animal but are very good used in correcting. They do NO damage to the trachea like chokers or nylon collars do. More effective than shock collars too.

Out of field spending time in basic obedience will also allow the dog to understand good behavior and a desire to please ( although thats not high priority on the LGD mind).

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
quote........she was MOUTHY very very mouthy, and it was ever only with Annie. Omg its always Annie!!

sounds to me as if Annie is very reluctant to submit to the dogs authority. I learned to trust the judgement of my dog. My pyr would jump on my ram and they would both go at it until the dog got his point across. I would tell the dog no and I would tie him just out of reach so he couldn't reach me to be petted. he really hated that. I would just tie him for 5 minutes. then release him. I thought my dog was wrong. I am so glad my dog for gave my ignorance. Im so glad that is the only thing I did to punish him. Im so glad my dog loves me beyond measure. I began to watch from afar. when the dog sensed danger he will make a sweep across the pasture to move the herd away or to call them up to the barn. The ram would always pick a fight when the dog was trying to move the herd. one dog 30 plus adult ewes. He had a job to do and needed the ram to corporate.
it's just as if you have a small child and it is walking into danger. you need to be able to control the child from a distance and they need to , stop and come hear now without question. or perhaps fixing to step where they shouldn't - stop don't move, stand still. without control you can't protect sometimes in some situations.
I think the dog is coming of age and asserting her authority and teaching the goat to mind. I have one ewe that is always mad and picking fights with the other ewes. the dog usta put his head on her back and act as if he was going to mount her like a ram. she hated this and would move out from under his head pressure. this went on for about a month. I finally took her to the vet for a checkup. I told my vet my dog knows something I don't and explained what was going on and asked him if he could swab for cancer. He found that she has a hole in the membrane between her rectum and vagina. their for she has a constant vaganal discharge that the dog would also try to clean. I thought for a few days that the dog had chosen this ewe for himself to breed. cause it did look odd. but then I remembered all the times before when I doubted him and thought he was wrong when it was I who was just ignorant. I guess she is always mad cause she's in pain. but the dog keeps her moving to keep her from picking on the others. when she leaves them alone he leaves her alone. He follows her slowly every where she goes and if she stops to but heads he pushes her and moves her feet.slowly all at a walk. if she stops and lays down he lays down. Its been a little over a year ago since the situation began and the pyr just about has her broke of fighting with the other ewes. I am glad my pyr took charge of the situation. I had to separate her one day her forehead was bloody and I thought the other ewes were going to kill her. 5 ewes had ganged up on her and were all ramming her from different sides. I put her in a stall and let everyone have a 30 minute time out. the pyr was smart enough to realize what I was doing breaking up the fight in a peaceful way and from that day onward he took over the task for me. I wish I could find some vet or doctor to fix it for her. she is just 3 years old. they fix it in humans. why can't they fix it in sheep. it's only about an inch or so from the outside. I have asked my vet. hes afraid it might do more harm to try the repair. I am open to ideas. i'm currently researching for information.
I spent the first year and a half doubting my dog and second guessing him. thinking he was wrong. nope he never has been in 7 years. sometimes his patience wares a little thin. every parent's dose. I hired him to do a job, and I pay him to do a job. 24 hours a day 7 days a week. he is out their every day and night he knows more about the situation than I do. I know only what I see. he knows what started " it " and " who " and hour befor.

Eteda

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
yep goat boy that sounds bad. get him some toys and play with him with the toys maybe. just like you would teach a house dog to play with his toys and leave your shoes alone. they are smart. tell him goats are not play things that is work. be serious when you're in with the goats and watchful, attentive and alert, set an example. walk the boundaries. I wouldn't allow him in with them by himself until her grew out of that stage. Im ruined, my dog trained himself and me. LOL Im fortunate to have such a wonderful dog. I sure hope my next one is like him. I can't imagine not having a pyr now. I have been wondering if and when is it time to bring in another pup for him to train before he is to old to do so. He is my first and Im not fully trained yet so Im trying to learn some averages and get some ideas. my dog chewed my water hose every time i left it where he could get to it. I got tired one day after 18 months of buying and protecting water hoses.
I picked up the hose pieces one day and shook it at him saying I sure wish you'd quit chewing my hoses I've had enough. he ain't chewed one since.
another occasion I got mad at him for digging a black hole in the stall. so I said to him with anger in my voice.
If you're gonna dig a hole, go dig one out there in the middle of the pasture where I can cover it up with the tractor.
well the next day to my astonishment , their out in the middle of the pasture was a large black hole. you know the kind 4 feet wide 7 feet deep and 15 feet long. and that's just a starter hole. I kid you not he did.
I've learned to be really careful how and what I say to my dog. all I have to do is say, Gabe, what are you doing? and he will change the way he is doing something in order to accomplish the same goal. He had the ram cornered one day cause he wasn't letting the pregnant ewes eat. He was growling at the ram warning him. But this upset the ewes. so I asked him, Gabe, what are you doing? He got quiet. and when the ram went past him, he began mounting the ram. shaming him into the corner. He put the ram back in the corner with out a sound and held him their while the ewe ate. the ewes were calm and eating without the growling. realizing I should have kept my nose out of my dogs business and I was wrong to question him. I left him alone and said nothing. Im learning. Ill be a better pyr owner because of him. I am just blessed and lucky. I've had my road paved with my pyr. your road is just dirt road and has some bigger hills in it but it leads to the same place. a love and need for a great breed of dog. one day you will have a great dog too. Ill probably need some of your experiences with my next pup. hang in their. I agree with southern by choice. I've used prong collars on dogs and they work instant and great used properly. however the dog has to understand what it is doing is wrong and not desired by you before you can punish him for it. just as a young child has to understand what stealing is and that it is wrong. before you can punish them for it. conscious and awareness of one actions is important. but its bred into the dogs to have it. sounds like a late bloomer. keep me posted. I want to learn what to do also in that situation. I can guess, but I don't know. that's a big difference. any one know how it worked out or if the dog ever quit?

Last edited: