Something that makes goats give more milk?

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I have been told by a friend that there is an ingredient in beer that you can give a goat which will up milk production.

Has anyone heard of that or know the name of the ingredient??

DonnaBelle

bigmike

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I did a search about this, here is what I found...

Answer
You may not be able to get the doe to produce milk. You can try milking her frequently to see whether that increases the production. Normally goats will produce according to what the kid drinks, but perhaps this goat has another problem. There are also plants that are known to assist in milk production. Some of these that you can add to food are oats,nutritional yeast, milk thistle, hops, cumin seeds, alfalfa leaf, cinnamon, and anise (umbel) seeds

From this I would imagine it would be the HOPS which is a common ingredient in beer...Hope this helps

Susyr22

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How many times a day are you milking? If only once they will slack off on production. To up it, Try milking 3 times a day for a week. And then back it down to just 2. This worked for a friend of mine who's goats were starting to dry up a bit. This got them milking really good again! You can also try alfalfa pellets or Calf manna (manna pro)

ragdollcatlady

Herd Master
Reaction score
It could be hops or brewers yeast. Brewers yeast is a protein food with a fantastic nutritional profile, tons of B vitamins in good, balanced amounts and a phenomenal amino acid profile. It will improve coat, skin and hoof condition. It would probably provide for improvement in milk, but I would suspect that it would up the protein, not necessarily the amount, but that would just be a guess. Amounts of alfalfa hay and grain make a big difference for us in the amount of milk we get. Even just one day of less alfalfa or lower quality (or quantity) of grain will cost us 2 or 3 days to get back up to the prior amount of milk. Increasing milking to more times a day for a few days can help a lot too.

farmerlor

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
We have a guy near us who brews beer and gives away the expended hops and whatever else is involved in this process. HE says it's great for the dairy animals but I'm not sure I want to try it unless someone who knows a little more about dairy animals gives the go ahead.

bonbean01

Herd Master
Reaction score
Well...I'm not a milk animal...but when my son was born, my doctor told me to increase milk production to drink a beer while nursing him...relaxes you and according to him, hops helped with that. Not sure if any of that was true, but I do like the taste of beer...seemed rather unmotherly though, so didn't do that too often :lol: