Something that's starting to bug me....

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Sorry - I just need to vent for a minute.

You ever get tired of hearing "WOW. You sure have a farm here - it must be hard working full time and taking care of all these animals. Don't you have any time for yourself? I don't know how you do it...." and it's coming from the same people/person each time?

How many times can I say "Yes, I know we have a small farm. Yes, it is a lot of work and my 'me' time is spent enjoying my farm. I do it because I have fun and, to me, it's better than sitting at the beach doing nothing".

I mean, I know to most people it looks like we live a crazy and hectic life, but if we've already had the conversation about WHY we have a farm and how much work it is, why keep bringing it up?

I don't repeatedly say "Wow - you're doing nothing today but sitting by the pool day dreaming? That must be really crazy! I don't know how you don't drive yourself insane with all the free time you have!"

Seems like some people would rather be busy 24/7 (like me) and some couldn't fathom waking up thinking what else has to get done today. But at least I don't point out that difference EVERY TIME we have a conversation! Different strokes, I guess....

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh Boy, can I relate.

We were building contractors in SW Florida, to say we had a hectic life is a real understatement.

We retired in 2000, moved from Fla to Okla. We were here 3 yrs and DH came in and told me he had bought a farm. 360 A. GOOD GRIEF!!

We have been here 7 years. It is soooo different than our life in FLA, DH is so happy, he is always up to something.

We have goats, horses, 60 chickens and birddogs. I never had any kind of farm animal before, but I can read, and ask questions, and I love being out here.

We have a garden this year, and are getting lovely tomatos, potatos,
corn, squash, cucumbers.

Our kids (oops, children) thought we were nuts, and probably still do, butdon't say so as much as they did when we bought the place!!

Having animals gives your life so much meaning. I think it's got something to do with being able to control at least a part of your life. Not to mention the self satisfaction of having some food that you yourself produced.

My husband was raised on a farm in Iowa many years ago. He had to get up at 4:30 am. go help milk the cows, chore, then come in and have breakfast, then get on the bus and go to school.

You should see him milk the goats, he said milking was like riding a bike you never forget how. HA!!

Anyway, we are going to a big Bar Mitzvah in Dallas next month and while others are bragging about going to Paris, I'll be telling everyone about my goats!!

DonnaBelle

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
welcome to farmin'!
:)

thats why we all have to stick together.

for heavens sakes - they should hand out a "what to look out for" pamphlet when you start this farming thing and on the first page it should say:

Your family and well meaning friends will mock you at every turn. Then they will turn up their nose at any food you've grown. And then there will be more mocking. Followed by name calling and a certain amount of making fun of everything you do.

Until...

...you show them your $25 a week grocery bill. then its not so funny and they will all start coming around asking for advice on how you do this or that and can you help them start a garden?

If it makes you feel any better - I had someone tell me that I was "so poor I had to eat a turkey from my yard."

The punchline to this is that my 'organically raised turkeys' would sell for over $100 at a snooty in-city grocery store.

As for the 'you're so poor' ... I retired from my corporate life when I was 38 and everything we have is paid for...

And for the critters... I had someone tell me that their 3 cats and 2 dogs were to much work. I just laughed. We have over 100 pieces of poultry, goats, pigs, AND dogs n cats.

so you just have to laugh.

lately i've been telling folks like this that i "feel bad for folks who dont have our life." or tell them that i dont need a vacation because everyday on the farm is like a vacation. and if that doesnt work i start quoting Proverbs. then i start ignoring them.

hang in there baby - and get better friends!
ps Scripture says that all hard work is profitable and if thats the only reason you to do it, thats good enough.

patandchickens

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
glenolam said:
I don't repeatedly say "Wow - you're doing nothing today but sitting by the pool day dreaming? That must be really crazy! I don't know how you don't drive yourself insane with all the free time you have!"
Perhaps you SHOULD say that, whenever the person says their thing, and give them a Humorous Yet Pointed Look, and change the subject... that might cut down on it remarkably ;)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Thanks for making me smile and laugh.

The thing is - there's a few specific people that do this to us and they're not really our friends or aquaintances. It's a few family members and my co-workers. Our close friends and most of our family members get it and really enjoy coming over, but I limit my conversation with the other type of people so I don't have to get into details. But it always goes into how chaotic our life is....I think I need new responses...

"Yes, it is hectic, but it beats having the same boring conversation again and again!"

"Oh, we're always busy. Beats sitting around talking about how busy other people are."

"Everyone at the farm is doing well. Luckily our animals are becoming more self sufficient so I have more time to do....what is that you do all day again? Nothing? Sounds like fun to me!"

DonnaBelle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Yep, just sit there and feel sorry for them, that's the best way to handle it!!!

Quite frankly, I feel sorry for anyone who doesn't have goats!!!

DonnaBelle

Mea

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
welcome to farmin'!
Until...

...you show them your $25 a week grocery bill. then its not so funny and they will all start coming around asking for advice on how you do this or that and can you help them start a garden?

If it makes you feel any better - I had someone tell me that I was "so poor I had to eat a turkey from my yard."

The punchline to this is that my 'organically raised turkeys' would sell for over $100 at a snooty in-city grocery store. .
DH and i still laugh about the time that the neighborhood children came to 'see the animals'... and when they found out that we had eggs from our chickens...milk from our goats,,, asked us "If we were poor, cuz we didn't buy those things from the store ?? " :lol:

I figure we are only Poor when we go to the feed store..................:hide

rusty66211

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
Ok here is my 5 cents worth:
I have 2 horses , one donkey , a 30 year old pony, two spanish goats, one boar goat, 25 chicken, 25 chicks , two pygmy goat babies, one boar spanish cross bottle fed baby, 5 dogs , six cats and more kittens on the way. Oh and before I forget there is also four fish and somewhere on my 5 acres you see two boys (12and130 running around with my 2 year old grandson. At the end of this month we are getting an exchange student from spain for the school year. My husband is retired military and works full time and I am a maillady. My hubby is going overseas to work as a contractor soon. Why???? Guess what we want more land for more critters. People ask all the time how can you do it and the take a exchange student on top of it? I always say the same thing "It's a farm thing you wouldn't understand" I was born and raised in the city but I would not trade my countrylife for anything in the world I just plain and simple LOVE IT. Some people like doing nothing others like being busy I just like seeing my animals happy when they get spoiled by me. Enjoy your critters and the heck with what people say .

rusty66211

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I actually borrowed it from my husband who has a jeep and it says its a jeep thing you wouldn't understand I just think it works better for the farm lol

Latest posts