Something that's starting to bug me....

mully

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Best to just put them on ignore because they will never understand and trying to explain will make you mad. Life is too short to be mad !!

freemotion

Self Sufficient Queen
Reaction score
Throw your head back and laugh, then lean in, put your hand on his/her arm and say, right in his/her face...."You are SO funny!" Then change the subject. Or better yet, walk away, still laughing.

Works for me. And those observing don't see anything snotty happening. Which makes me laugh even harder!

glenolam

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Awesome advice, everyone!

Now I'm thinking that I may just start really acting crazy...then people will be too afraid to ask any questions! HA HA HA HA

Trail rider

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
"It's a farm thing you wouldn't understand"

You are sooo right. Nothing taste as good when you set the table with food from your garden that you raised. Reminds me of that movie Richer or Poorer when Tim Allen's corn grew, When you see all your hard work pay off, the muscles seem to hurt less.

ohiofarmgirl

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
glenolam said:
Awesome advice, everyone!

Now I'm thinking that I may just start really acting crazy...then people will be too afraid to ask any questions! HA HA HA HA
sure! that generally works for me!

TigerLilly

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
This is a great thread! I lived in WV as a teen & hated it because we had a pig farm. Although the pig rodeos were fun, I didn't appreciate it then. Now, I'm looking forward to keeping my goats, getting a few laying hens & some mini cattle. I wont be totally self-sufficient on my mini farm, but that grocery bill will start dropping.
I'm starting now, so when I am actually retired (in about 11 more years), I can have more time to ENJOY the life I didn't take advantage of when I was younger.
Like I told my friends, deep down I'm just a good ol' redneck country girl!

abooth

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Thank you for starting this thread. Somehow lately I have been feeling like I don't fit in with the people at work etc. I only have a one acre backyard but I keep 4 sheep and several chickens. I work overnight. When I am at work I just can't wait for morning so I can get home and take care of the sheep. I love just bringing them their water and raking out their house in the morning. So I guess I am doing what I love but feeling a little awkward lately. My dad and uncle are coming to visit in September to help me do some work on my house. I am a little worried about their reaction. Though my dad at least knows what I am doing here. I made him a father's day video about the "farm". He really liked my silkies.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Somewhat like abooth, I have 5 sheep and chickens, a couple of large gardens...nothing that would cause that type of reaction, but I still get the same kind of comments.... :rolleyes:

"We love driving by your house...we never know what we are gonna see!"

"I don't know how you take care of all those animals and have any time for yourself!"

"Looks like you're trying to farm on that place!"

"Seems like an awful lotta work to me."

First, I have my place set up so that it doesn't take "a lot of work" to keep it going smoothly. If I had too many animals for comfort, I would definitely get rid of them....I'm not a glutton for punishment, by any means.

Second, the time for myself IS working with the animals and gardening...I love even looking out the window at it all.

Third, no I'm not "trying to farm" out there....I'm trying to keep an acre of grass converted to meat, using the free grass to feed a food animal or two, and stacking species to provide an optimal living environment for all.....plus, they are just darn pretty walking around on my carefully manicured lawn.

I do feel sorry for the people who lack the imagination to create a scenario that is aesthetically pleasing, produces food, and requires little hard extended labor to achieve.

The same people who sit staring trance-like at a box of images and sound in their living room, night after night, and think that THAT is some semblance of a life. :rolleyes:

glenolam, we are all with you....power to the sheeple....er...people! :thumbsup

tiffanyh

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Lately I have been feeling the same way. I almost avoid talking about it with people, one guys at work said to "wow, your one of a kind" in regards to me showing him my new fencing I had built when he asked me what I did over the weekend. I said "nope, there are quite a few like me!".

The comments of "Wow, this must be a lot of work", I take those as a compliment that people can appreciate how much time and energy I put into making my paddock area, chicken run and aviary look great in my landscaped lot.

But now that my kid are older, we are having more company for playdates, and even though the yard is always nicely manicured for visits, I can help but wonder if I am the crazy animal lady......

SDGsoap&dairy

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Great thread folks. I get sooo sick of this kind of reaction as well. I have one person at work who has to point out on a regular basis "wow, that must be a lot of work..." Yet she buys eggs from me EVERY week.

What's funnier to me (in a totally aggravating sort of way) is that when I told her I was cutting back from full time to part time she waited til I left the room then said to a coworker, "you know, when she got those goats I knew this would happen. I really should have told her not to get them..." I hadn't yet mentioned it was because I got a BETTER JOB and was transitioning out of that place!!! The real kicker for me was her assumption that her opinion about whether or not I should get goats was of ANY consequence to me. Please. :smack

I also have a family member who gushes about the fresh, organic bacon from Whole Foods yet declined to take a dozen of my just-laid-that-morning free-range eggs home with her because it's "freaky." Uh.... ok. Of course, this IS the same person who mockingly asked me "how can you tell your free-range birds are happier than caged hens? It's a chicken!" :barnie

Glad I could vent to those in the know. :p

Latest posts