Soon to be momma

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
First pics of my babies. They will be ready to come home by March 15th when they turn 8 weeks old. The doe is the fawn colored one, the buck is the smallest dark one in the back.
402_1518756128818.jpeg
403_1518756133764.jpeg

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
Greetings and welcome to BYH! So glad you joined us. :frow There's a wealth of info, knowledge and experience shared in the multitude of threads. Browse around and see what interesting stuff you can find. By all means post away when the desire strikes you, especially if you have questions (provide as much detail/info as possible and pictures truly help)... With all the great folks here, generally someone will respond in no time at all. Please make yourself at home!

Not sure what breed they are, and they sure are cute, but if they are year round breeders (like Nigerian Dwarfs), then you'll either need to keep the buck separated from the doe or get the buck wethered (neutered) pretty soon. They become "capable" at a very young age... like 8-12 weeks, and you really do NOT want a doe that young getting pregnant. If they are a seasonal breeder type, the same may sill apply if the doe hasn't matured enough by July/August as she will still be very young/small to be bred. Info just provided in case you weren't aware. :)

There are quite a few active goat folks from your area (the Carolinas). Hope you enjoy the site!

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome Tatiana. Are these your first goats and do you have other animals/birds?

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
These will be my 1st goats although I'm not a stranger to farm animals. I've worked on a family run farm with over 250 momma cows and a herd of horses. These are Nigerian dwarf goats. I have 2 runs side by side separated with chain link fences and their night enclosure is a large wooden shed with a pallet wall so they can see each other and not get lonely at night. I don't plan on letting them breed until they are 8-12 months old. My family is lactose intolerant so I am looking forward to eventually save over $800 a year in milk cost. I also have 4 Ancona ducks 3 hens and 1 Drake. The Drake is a blue, then I have 1 silver, 1 black & 1 black with a beetle green sheen for the hens.

Last edited:

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
My family is lactose intolerant so I am looking forward to eventually save over $800 a year in milk cost.
I was not aware goat milk didn't have lactose. My wife is intolerant so we buy Lactaid® milk for her. She only uses it on cereal so not much more than 1/2 gallon a week.

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Goat milk also has more vitamins & nutrients than cows milk. We go through about 12 gallons of lactaid a month with my 3 year old granddaughter drinking the bulk of it so the milk cost is around $830 a yr.

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I was told that the babies would be ready to come home on the 12th. But then the next night I was informed that the buck got trampled or something and they found him dead in his pen. Fortunately she does have some other males that were born shortly after I went there the last time that I can choose from.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Zebulon, NC
Just a recommendation.
Why don't you buy two doe kids?
And then buy a buck when they are a year old.

Just a suggestion.

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
I've heard bucks can be a little more temperamental and I need it to be adult and kid friendly. My theory is if we get him young and play with him a lot he will be a very nice buck and when I'm ready to breed them he will already know his mate