Soon to be momma

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
The possible problem with that is that he will become "capable" at 3-4 months. As soon as your young does come into heat, he WILL breed them. Since they will be very (too) young/small, this could have some very bad results. I know you want the milk, so why not buy a proven doe in milk with a doe kid at her side? Many breeders have older does that are their final kidding. You'll have milk almost immediately through early next year. You can still breed her while you wait for your baby to mature for breeding & milk next year.

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've heard bucks can be a little more temperamental and I need it to be adult and kid friendly. My theory is if we get him young and play with him a lot he will be a very nice buck and when I'm ready to breed them he will already know his mate

What we did when we first got goats was we bought 3 doe kids that were 2 and 3 months old.

When they were a little over a year old, we went out and purchased a young buckling who was about 10 weeks old. We let him live with the girls because they were large enough to be bred. It ended up being 2 or 3 months before he actually bred them. He continued to live with them until the first one kidded.

By that time we had him a pen to be put in adjacent to the does. He was by himself beside the does for about 3 months.We then wethered one of the first buck kids when it was old enough and then put him with his daddy as a companion animal. They lived together or a couple of years even when we added another buck.

I don't think your plan to buy 1 doe kid and 1 buck kid and keeping them separate where they can see each other is an ideal situation. In fact, I think it's less than ideal. They are going to be lonely.

Just my opinion.

I have 8 bucks and for the most part they are as easy to handle and get along as well as my does.

Last edited:

OneFineAcre

Herd Master
Reaction score
What @Latestarter suggested is another option.
We have some first freshener does that we are selling in milk with a doe kid at their side.

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
Fortunately for me I've been researching these goats for about a year before making my final selection of which goats will work for my family, my needs and my available space. Where I live there is no one willing to sell a pair. The does are very difficult to find in my area as no one is willing to part with their females. The bucks are slightly less difficult. I was fortunate to find a breeder who had both but still had to make a 5 hour drive to put the deposit down and it will be another 5 hour drive to pick them up.

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Tatiana Blackburn -Are your buckling and doeling related to each other? Are their parents related?
There are many quality Nigerian Breeders well within a two hour radius of you, so don't despair if you need to find another goat for a companion or unrelated one to build your herd.

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
@ frustratedearthmother Raleigh is about a 35 minute drive.
@ bayleafmeadows the original 2 I had picked were unrelated. Since the new batch of males were born within days of my picking them out the first time I'm assuming they are unrelated to the doe but that is definitely something I plan on asking.

My original plan was to have these 2 for the year it would take until ready to breed them, if I got a doe kid I would wether the original male and go buy another male. If she has a buck I would sell the buck and try again.

Bayleaf Meadows

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@ frustratedearthmother Raleigh is about a 35 minute drive.
@ bayleafmeadows the original 2 I had picked were unrelated. Since the new batch of males were born within days of my picking them out the first time I'm assuming they are unrelated to the doe but that is definitely something I plan on asking.

My original plan was to have these 2 for the year it would take until ready to breed them, if I got a doe kid I would wether the original male and go buy another male. If she has a buck I would sell the buck and try again.
So you will have the kids starting at what age? Three months old? The buckling will be able to breed the doeling at that time if not earlier. That would be too young for the doeling and that would mean that would have to keep them separated while they are too young to breed. The one male by himself and the one female by herself would be lonely and not well adjusted. And if you wait until she is old enough to safely kid, any male left with the dam and her doeling if she has a female kid can breed both of them after a short time, too soon for the doeling and maybe sooner than you want the dam to be re-bred.

Tatiana Blackburn

Ridin' The Range
Reaction score
8 weeks old equate to 2 months old. As I've stated there will be plenty of visual between the two and a ton of human and other pet interaction considering I also have 5 dogs they will be allowed to play with. I'm not one of those people that put my animals in a yard and only check on them when it's feeding time. I really appreciate everyone's concern but I've done my research and I've got this handled. I'm also not a stranger to livestock. I know what line breeding and inbreeding is and I'm not a fan of either. I've also bred raised and trained working cattle and sheep dogs. Another one of my attributes is that I was a veterinarian technician for several years. I joined this site for the fellowship and possible answer to question down the road. I didn't realize that this was not a judgement free zone and that I would be chastised and criticized for posting my excitement over new arrivals.