soon to be new rabbit owner

cjenn222

Just born
Reaction score
i am getting some cottontails this weeks and plan to use them for training beagles... im getting a female and male.. my question is can i keep them in a welded wire i use for breeding chickens? is it ok to feed them pellets that i feed the chickens? and how do i tell when the female ready to breed and do they need a little box to birth their young?

thanks

Kooshie

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
How do you train beagles with rabbits? :hu

cjenn222

Just born
Reaction score
most beagles run deer or rabbits thats why im getting regualr cottontails instead of sq....

ksalvagno

Alpaca Master
Reaction score
I would say you need a proper rabbit cage and feed proper rabbit feed. I can't imagine that chicken feed is ok for rabbits. You would want the rabbits off the ground so other critters can't get them and they would need some type of protection from the elements.

waynesgarden

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Chicken feed is nearly all ground grains. Rabbits will require a more balanced diet, low on the grains.

Not that you asked, but isn't raising wild animals such as cottontail rabbits in captivity illegal in most if not all states? I believe some states will issue permits to possess live cottontails. Not sure if a permit would be issued to raise them as beagle chow.

Just wondering.

Wayne

currycomb

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
there is a domestic rabbit called the san juan, looks alot like a wild cottontail. i understand they are bred and used for training the beagle hounds. :rolleyes: