Sore hocks

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
There was somebody 4/5 years ago out your way that sold champagnes. They were an older couple and I can't find them now. Man had one that followed him all over the farm in and out of the house. Watch tv together.
The one I bought was 40 she wanted 60 but gave me a break cuz I bought 2 Flemish does same time. I guess it makes sense that low cage freezes quicker. I keep reading that in the summer it's cooler lower to the ground. I can't do all that bending.
Yesterday it starts off at 40 raining hard. Temp started dropping then snowed hard about 3 hrs then it all melted.
I hear alot about Rex liking to bite. I saw some at the state fair but don't know nothing about them. They are pretty but heck they all are.
Dumb question with the low fat content can dogs live off on rabbits only? I heard of people doing it but never talked to anybody about. Used to feed my hunters chicken and rice alot. Stopped venison though always got the runs.
Dang clothes are still stained.🤬

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it depends on the rabbit. I have full size Rex, and only one has tried to bite me. If you cull for personality you will get nicer rabbits eventually. I have several who hop to the front of the cage and request head rubs.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I feed my dogs mostly chicken leg quarters everyday. Can't afford beef. If my dad kills a deer he gives me some for the dogs. I make them bone broth, they get broth, canned pumpkin, or butternut squash or sweet potatoe, yogurt, raw chicken, and olive oil or coconut oil and they get a joint supplement powder that is k9 power joint strong. Also if I have left over rice or noodles or potatoes or veggies they will get that too. They almost never have any issues. Tummy troubles everyone gets charcoal in my house. The only thing I don't feed is pork. But I can buy sheep and goat at farmers market. If I get a place I would raise goats for dog food. I would also have alot more dogs. Lol. I would have been surprised if the a and d came out the clothes. Smh. That sucks. Always check your pockets!!! Selling a rabbit in a few. Alot of snow. Snowing hard. Another person got at me about champagnes but she wants 60 and she only has one litter. Also in Indiana. I am selling my last champagne to a lady in Indiana on Wednesday. She originally wanted the last new Zealand but someone else is already buying him. New Zealands are okay. I just love champagnes. My daughter want creme d argents, I know where to get one but they have been line bred and I don't want that. There are two rabbit breeder groups and you can find breeders on there, but some info is out of date. Pedigree rabbits isn't like dogs. You only have to have 3 generations to start a pedigree. It's a piece of paper and doesn't have to be registered. You can register but that is mostly for shows. If you have 4h in your area you know this when you are young, but we don't have 4h where I live. Would be great for my kids.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
Not that rex bite to be aggressive they just bite. If you put your hand on it they will bite. No other rabbits I have do it. All the rex and they are all from different places. I think it is a rex thing. But I love their fur so I have to have some! I can stand the love nips.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not that rex bite to be aggressive they just bite. If you put your hand on it they will bite. No other rabbits I have do it. All the rex and they are all from different places. I think it is a rex thing. But I love their fur so I have to have some! I can stand the love nips.
Odd that your rabbits do that. Mine have licked me before, but only the one has bitten. She's on her last strike, will probably get rid of her after this litter, depends on how she does. Too bad you are far away, I'm in CA and have litters that are coming of age starting within the month.

I love the Rex fur too! I'm trying to expand the colors I have so I can get more colorful pelts.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I got a breeding pair from a reputable breeder. I asked her if they bite and she said they cull hard any undisireable traits, like biting, sore hocks, and not good moms. But they still nip. Lol. The doe is very friendly, but she nips alot. She is castor. The buck is broken brown a really nice brown, he is kinda skiddish. Less nippy. But he has nipped too. I had a blue I sold she nipped and I have a solid black, she is in the house now in first class as she will kindle soon, and she is much nicer! Lol. I think she likes first class. But she refuses to use a litter box. She only dumps it out. And she tore the urine guards off the cage. I just cleaned her cage and she was trying to get out. Before she alway ran away now she is friendly.

Larsen Poultry Ranch

Herd Master
Reaction score
I have castor, opal, REW, sable agouti (not showable), dilute sable agouti (not showable), and just got my first blue and black kits.

I need to weigh mine, they look like they are growing slower than the mixed Flemish x Rex kits, but I think they are not too far behind.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
The black is a young doe first Kindle for her. Hope it is good. I bred her to my Californian buck just for first time, my rex buck is still very small. I figure the first time is usually a learning experience for the does. Anyways will see how it goes. I think Californian is a self and solid black is a self. Will probably be all black kits with no rex fur. Oh well freezer camp.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
These rex I have were born In mid November, you would think they would be full grown by now. Still small. Or small to me. The champagne kits I have were born in December sometime I would have to check when and they are almost fully grown. I thought they weren't growing fast and then they were big. The new Zealand kits were way bigger but they have evened out on their growing now.

Latest posts