Sore hocks

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
So I have one very large doe that has just kindled. New Zealand. She is about 13lbs. She just had 12 kits, nine are still alive. She is in a kw 2 level condo inside. It is not really big enough for her, but she is kind of a piggy so this is the cage I have to keep her cleanest inside. The wire is the pvc coated wire and it is pretty soft as far as wire goes. Very large gauge wire. Well she is getting sore hocks for some reason. Can anyone tell me the safest most effective way to treat this? I was going to put some comfrey salve I made on it but I seen online some say use a and d ontiment. She is a sweet doe and I can handle her but I don't think she would keep any vet wrap on it. It is red and bald, not bleeding or infected. I also have some silver ointment. The comfrey salve is very healing and heavy on beeswax. I also have some comfrey oil. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SA Farm

Herd Master
Reaction score
I don’t remember that I put anything on the rabbit I had with sore hocks. I think the wounds were scabbed over so I just put a wooden board in her cage to rest on and they healed up. Just had a bit more cleaning to do to make sure the board and wire didn’t get dirty enough to cause any infection.

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
She is using the litter box which I clean every day. She sometimes misses it because she is so big. But that's why she is in this cage because in cage with solid floor she will make a mess. She is already getting silver in her water, because she just kindled. I can put a board in there. She comes out the cage to exercise well just lay in a different spot she doesn't do much exercise. She will go steal the other does veggies if she can get them.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
So what's the game plan?
You've mentioned silver before what's it for?
Comfrey, did you buy roots or seed and does it spread by itself. I had thought about getting myself some but wanted to ask someone that actually had it.

Last edited:

Rabbitsbysara

Overrun with beasties
Reaction score
I started comfrey from seed. About 5 years ago maybe? Doesn't really spread and its good for rabbits, compost, and fertilizer. I make a comfrey salve. It's good for skin issues and they say it helps joint pain. Great for stings. I can send you root block cuttings in the spring if you want, they say it's the fastest way to grow. It has nice flowers the bees love too. Colloidal silver. It is a natural antibiotic. Expensive most of them. You can make it but you have to know what you are doing. I just buy it. Works very well for animals, mostly because they are smaller. That's how it is with alot of natural remedies. I have moved that doe into another cage now, mostly because I got a different cage for her and I had to bring in another doe. She still has sore hocks, I didn't put anything on it. Thought it was good then I seen one was bleeding. Not infected, gonna try to put something on it tomorrow, she was very mad at me today since I had to move her and the kits. That's the huge new Zealand doe. All of her kits are great. Lost 2 champagne kits. One was on bottom of nest box I don't know how cuz it was huge. Another was a runt baby that got out of the nest yesterday and my daughter accidentally stepped on it in the middle of the night checking kits. It's cold here even in the house the kits get very cold if they fall out of nest box. I tried putting my nests on an incline like someone on here said, I can't tell if it's helping or not. Maybe not enough incline, still experimenting. Super cold coming in Friday, they are saying for a week. Hope it passes fast. I have more insulation to put on my hutches outside and I will put alot of straw too. Selling 3 buns tomorrow, so I will only have one from each of my past litters left. Don't know where to put them, they are 2 bucks but different ages. May end up together, don't know if they will get along. But may get cold as little rabbits alone. Below zero for the week, I believe. We just got alot of snow.

Grizzlyhackle

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Snowed off and on three days. Finally this morning there's some blue sky. Ain't 50 today. I heard more snow is coming and colder next week.
I ordered some comfrey seeds over the weekend. Thank you though. Sorry about the kits. Sad when little ones pass.
Read some more on sore hocks. A+D is also recommended, or blu kote. Less embarrassing than to buy than prep h.:D

Latest posts