Sores on calf and swollen legs

1Redwasp

Herd lurker
Reaction score
My bottle fed calf "Penelope" has sores on her ribcage underneath and legs around her hooves. I think it's because of the fescue hay Dad & I used for her bedding. She also chews on them. Any help?
20210619_193116.jpg

farmerjan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I would not be surprised that the fescue is causing something similar to "hot spots" on dogs. I cannot say for sure. It is not ringworm which looks different and is more often on head & neck areas. Besides using the fescue for bedding, what else is it eating? Sometimes you will find a calf that has a reaction to the milk replacer. What kind of milk replacer? If there is any soy in it it could also be that. I honestly can't say from the picture because I don't ever remember seeing it before.
I would try switching to a different milk replacer... different brand..... ALL MILK milk replacer.....OR find a dairy that you could buy RAW milk from to continue to feed...... OR .... try store bought whole milk by a gallon, not cheap, but maybe it would make a difference....it is pastureized.....
I honestly don't have a clue, off the top of my head.

Try bathing with epsom salt water.....something soothing....

1Redwasp

Herd lurker
Reaction score
I was wrong about it being fescue, it's actually Sage grass, she had wart type things around her nose and under her jaw but petroleum cleared it up. I'll check the milk replacement. It looks like the sage grass seeds are sticking into her hyde but I I wasn't sure since the hyde is usually thick. I zoomed in on the pic to view the seeds.

Attachments

• 20210723_131706.jpg
    20210723_131706.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 100

misfitmorgan

Herd Master
Reaction score
I was wrong about it being fescue, it's actually Sage grass, she had wart type things around her nose and under her jaw but petroleum cleared it up. I'll check the milk replacement. It looks like the sage grass seeds are sticking into her hyde but I I wasn't sure since the hyde is usually thick. I zoomed in on the pic to view the seeds.
Thank you very much for the update!