Sour milk?

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Help. I have two Kinder does who kidded 2 months ago. Started separating at night and milking mornings around a month ago. Milk tastes gross. has almost a sour\nasty taste. One worse than the other. Really gross. We know they didn't always have gross milk with previous lactations. Not sure what to do other than make lots of soap. We'd love to be able to drink it though. I've read some conflicting things on cobalt. If that is needed how do I best get that to them with out over doing it?

They do have loose minerals available, are mostly on pasture with some alfalfa when they want it. always fresh water.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I know feed can effect the taste i had a doe eating a certian weed that would make the milk have a funky taste. Has anything in their diet changed?

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
I know feed can effect the taste i had a doe eating a certian weed that would make the milk have a funky taste. Has anything in their diet changed?
Looking at feed for sure. Nothing has changed really. They are out on pasture of course. Haven't changed grains or anything. Not really tons of weeds for them to eat.. any weed in particular I should look for? I'm at a loss. But this is nasty and I feel like I'm wasting time milking when we can't drink the milk.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
I take a picture of the one i know caused issues for that one doe. My new one doesn't have that probelm so i think it depends on the animals as well.

Sophienee

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
Ok, we've had to change our mineral feeders as I'm not sure the mama's were using them. :\ Started sprinkling it on the feed once a day, and this helped one doe so,so much. We can now drink her milk. The other mama was VERY sick after kidding in March, almost died, sick. Her milk is the worst. She licks the bowl with when we put it in her feed. Maybe she needs lots more? Last couple days she has stopped licking it quite so clean, and never goes to the mineral feeder by her self. She is a bit thin still from not eating for so long after kidding. Thinking I'll keep up the minerals on her feed as well as maybe add in some beet pulp for weight gain?

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
You can also get mineral paste from feed store. They also have a gel. And copper bolus can help if you haven't already tried that. I give vitamin b gel, selenium and vitamin e gel, the copper, and the mineral and probotic paste. If they seem to be having issues my current doe i milk when i first got her, her coat was very coarse like pigs hair now its extremely soft like a kids hair. I think the weed was stink weed i kept for getting to get pictures... sorry about that.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Very pulp will help the vitamin b can help with appetite. As well and I would check their eyelids to see if they are anemic as well. If so there are wormers with no withdrawal you can try and also red cell(meant for horses) can help with the anemia. My doe was and it helped her she did care for the taste but she got took it anyways.

Jesusfreak101

Herd Master
Reaction score
Here the weed we thought it was

Attachments

• 20200525_201229.jpg
    20200525_201229.jpg
    256.1 KB · Views: 92

Mini Horses

Herd Master
Reaction score
I'm glad you are finding some improvement with her milk -- via feed & minerals. While some goats do/will have off tasting milk, most do not if they are balanced with nutrition. Some just don't try to find "why". At least you knew that she had been fine before.
It just breaks my heart to find a goat "moved along" for such a reason. They are so giving and provide much nutrition. Glad you are staying with it and finding improvement. I keep my girls milk separated. If any goes "off" I know who and find out why. But, I'm fortunate and haven't had any issues. Love my goat milk and the products from it. Excellent taste for me. My chickens love it!

Mine are predominately Saanen mixed with Nubian. When milking them, I use only herbal wormers...if any needed. When dried and preggers, I do use commercial ones. It's about milk withdrawal! LOL