Southern by Choice's Teaching Moments- Indoor LGD! Badger

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Excellent points and I've heard about this not so golden age of 7-8 mo. when the LGD suddenly takes a more acute interest in the poultry and not in a good way. I'm anticipating that and trying to head him off at the pass, so to speak.

The cockerel in question is generally a mannerly and quiet breeder and the hens rarely offer a protest, but these are pullets so the occasional protest is heard...my WRs are hardly ever a docile female when being mated like some other breeds. They tend to only submit when made to do so, even as older and more experienced hens.

You are correct...at first I thought it was a desirable thing..in a way. Thought it might mean the burgeoning of a protective, guarding instinct in the dog towards a chicken flock and was thinking that's a good thing. I think it IS instinctive, but I think he's still too young yet to categorize his instincts on this type of thing and needs a little guidance from me on it. Jake didn't correct him, as he's not alpha enough to do so, so it was my job.

My first mistake was in being lax in correcting the very first time I witnessed it right in front of me, but I was still debating whether this was a good thing or a bad thing. From now on he will get a correction BEFORE he even takes a step in the direction of a mating episode, if I am on hand to do so. He's pretty attuned to my corrections by now and usually it only takes a couple for him to understand...but he's entering the teen months and this might offer more of a challenge in his training than I imagine. I'll keep you posted and maybe y'all can pitch in with suggestions as I go along...as all animals free range together and some distance from the house, it's hard to catch any and all infractions of this type but I may be able to intervene enough to make an impression.

I need to do some reinforcement on leash training soon, take him through his old paces, so I can plant firmly in his mind who is the leader here as he tries taking on a more dominant role out there. I want his dominance to come to fore out there but not to the point that he doesn't adhere to the rules of the farm~MY chickens. That's the rule.

rangetree

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
I decided to start this thread based on the many calls and e-mails we get on "how to" work with pups, started pups, adults etc. As things come to mind I will post the scenario's. I also thought it beneficial to share the moments we have on our farm with our pups in training. Some posts may be "praise posts" whether our dogs or others that we get feedback on and the things the dog/s are doing that is a "big-deal". Young dogs make big steps and I believe it encourages others to keep an eye out for those big things their own dog is doing and praise them for it.

Because this is a "Backyard" farming group many have LGD's on very little land and the dogs are being raised in the family farm environment... quite different from those covering hundreds or a thousand acres. Often these dogs have a strong relationship with their masters, this is a good thing. :)

I wish there was a way to categorize the posts.:\

rangetree

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have acquired a Great Pyrenees, 4 1/2 month old puppy - she is very docile and sweet natured. When I took her to "meet the goats" (2 large, Kiko neutered males, 10 months old) she was so frightened, and one of the goats was aggressive towards her, trying to butt her. She is also frightened of the chickens who don't seem to notice her. She is becoming more of a family dog now, and we don't want to leave her alone / unattended in the goat pen/pasture. What am I doing wrong? (We wanted an LGD to protect the goats, but I am concerned for HER safety.)

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Welcome @rangetree - I have several questions and will try to get to them this evening. Unfortunately I am under a deadline and am just peeking in to see Olive pups from another member. :D

I will be more than glad to share more hopefully Saturday eve or Sunday.

How long have you had her?
Have your goats ever been exposed to a LGD before? Other dogs?
Temperament of Goats?

What stock did your pup come from?

What region are you in?

rangetree

Exploring the pasture
Reaction score
We have had her for 2 months and purchased her from a family that raises Great Pyrenees with their goats. Since she is a puppy, we didn't want to just "put her in with the goats and leave her" so she has become more of a family dog and gets along very well with our Golden Doodle and MC cat. Our goats have never been exposed to an LGD, but the neighbor's dogs (who have since moved) used to bark at them constantly through the fencing. The goats were bottle-fed and purchased as "pets to do a job" - clear the property of hedges, etc. We are in central Alabama. We have not allowed the goats "out" on the property to forage, because of our concern about stray dogs. They have a small, fenced pasture with a barn (where they are locked in at night for safety). Thank you for your help - we are just learning about how to have a farm with animals in our retirement. (I'm also learning how to navigate this website, so forgive me if I am slow with a response to posts.)

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
I have read this entire conversation. Prince, our LGD is an Anatolian Shepherd from a working dog litter. He was born on pasture to a Momma and Poppa who are working dogs. I have his records but no papers. The aim was to find a dog from a farm with a good local reputation for raising quality LGDs. The breeder came highly recommended by several people and when I visited the farm, was totally impressed with the operation. Top shelf all the way. They raise goats and run LGDs in pairs on several fields. I saw four working pair and several house dogs. She even had one lanky Anatolian Shepherd she took back from a couple who was 'going to move to a farm soon' and when the pup outgrew life in the city, she took the dog back and now he has a forever home with her 'house dogs'. (Live near the house with LOTS of room to run.)

Prince is 14 weeks old. He is a great dog. I read the book, "Livestock Protection dogs, Selection, Care and Training" by Orysia Dawydiak & David Sims. And still use it as a reference manual. Prince is energetic, smart, and playful. I am training him on the basics to come, sit, down, and stay. In the evenings, before bed, we do a 4-5 minute intensive training session using treats. It is the only time I use treats. All other times, during the day, I use positive reinforcement and correction. He is an entirely different experience than our two Cane Corso house dogs.

My neighbor also has two new LGD pups and chained them out with the stock, to bond. This didn't seem like the right thing to do for me. They don't allow any interaction at all except with stock. The book I read, said that time with family and the other animals was good. I can't see how a pup can be expected to behave like a well trained animal without some interaction to allow the 'hard-wiring' to blossom.

I allow Prince to accompany me throughout the day while I interact with the stock. I correct him when he becomes too playful, pulling wool, or biting legs and noses trying to play. This has earned him several headbutts from the sheep before I could step in. He does not seem phased at all by the sheep's corrections. Overall, I am very pleased and can't wait until he is with the stock full time. Right now, he only has supervised time because he isn't mature enough or big enough.

Prince has developed a fixation with Jellybean our barn cat. Prince focuses on Jellybean and plays (very roughly) with Jellybean but Jellybean doesn't run or try to get away. At first, I was inclined to let the situation play out but the roughness escalated to the point Jellybean was coughing and choking. I stepped in an now am trying to correct MY mistake. (Bad Momma!) Prince is smart and is taking to the new limits very well.

He is mouthy. When I pet him, he tries to mouth my hand. Now, I limit petting to a very short duration which he doesn't get time to mouth. Petting is usually praise. I also give him verbal cues like 'good boy' when petting so he associated that with a good feeling. I use other verbal cues (not commands) when we are working with the animals. By using the same verbal cues every day for the same thing, he will understand my intent when I am doing something. (Probably doesn't need them but I have used this method in the past with success.) He has a toy, bones, and plenty of things to chew. He responds well when I give him his bone when he is chewing something I'd rather NOT have chewed. He knows 'no' and responds well immediately but forgets within 15 seconds, needing a refresher.

He has a loving personality with plenty of enthusiasm for helping (except when Jellybean is around). We have free range Muscovys and he doesn't chase them. He is genuinely curious and I allow him to investigate the trusting ducks under supervision. He has not one time, offered to mouth the ducks. Shocking, since he has mouthed everything else. Hence, the reason for my constant supervision.

I look forward to more teaching moments. Thanks for sharing.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
How old is Prince?

He is mouthy. When I pet him, he tries to mouth my hand. Now, I limit petting to a very short duration which he doesn't get time to mouth.

I would correct this behavior... "avoidance" training does not teach.

Glad he is doing well for you. I need to update but just no time as of late.

Ponker

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
Prince is 14 weeks old.

I have used the muzzle pinch technique when he mouths but he isn't phased and I do not want to hurt him, just make him uncomfortable enough to associate a 'bad' feeling when he does it. What do you suggest as a correction for mouthing?

It is a very busy time of year. I'm ready for spring but not the associated rains.

Latest posts