Southern by Choice's Teaching Moments- Indoor LGD! Badger

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I shove my whole arm in there. :lol:

I will shove my whole arm in and keep pushing ... it does not hurt the dog but forces the dog to back up and keep backing up and they don't like it being in their mouth ( I usually do this sideways on arm). I ask "what you want to keep mouthing then here"... they don't like it , it takes all control away. They learn quick and after that if they forget their manners it is usually a firm "ah" what'ya doing?

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not Southern, but I can give you one method....I just observe how my other dog corrects this behavior and I copy his/her response. A noise~his is a quick growl~and a lunge/bite to the neck. Not a real bite, mind you, it looks more like an open mouthed, light "punch" to the neck. So, when I do it, it's either a sharp "Hey!" or "Aaaaatttt!" simultaneous with a quick poke with my finger tips to the neck. Hard enough to get his attention and snap him out of the behavior. It works like a charm. Neither pup I've trained mouthed anyone's hands past the first few times with this sort of correction. Has to be quick, has to startle the pup and it has to be hard enough to make an impression but not be like a hit...it's just a quick poke or jab. If the neck area doesn't work, it works pretty well on the flank, right where the thigh meets the belly.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not Southern, but I can give you one method....I just observe how my other dog corrects this behavior and I copy his/her response. A noise~his is a quick growl~and a lunge/bite to the neck. Not a real bite, mind you, it looks more like an open mouthed, light "punch" to the neck. So, when I do it, it's either a sharp "Hey!" or "Aaaaatttt!" simultaneous with a quick poke with my finger tips to the neck. Hard enough to get his attention and snap him out of the behavior. It works like a charm. Neither pup I've trained mouthed anyone's hands past the first few times with this sort of correction. Has to be quick, has to startle the pup and it has to be hard enough to make an impression but not be like a hit...it's just a quick poke or jab. If the neck area doesn't work, it works pretty well on the flank, right where the thigh meets the belly.

For most dogs they perceive that as play behavior. Poking and jabbing for some may make them hand-shy. As a trainer I don't recommend it.
LGD's would typically see that as play. They are not easily deterred as it is in their nature as Livestock Guardians to not be bothered by such things.

I say do whatever works for you. ;)

Last edited:

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
It worked! ;) They perceived it as a correction and never repeated the behavior, so they must have "got" it. Smart dogs.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Will have to catch up when things slow down... Ruby in kidding stall... but wanted to pop in and tell you all about Badger. As you know he is retired to the house. He gets along just fine with both housedogs. BUT.. Lena (our German Shepherd Dog) was poking around when we brought the mini-mancha in the other night after Zephyr kidded... Badger flew across the room teeth barred, and let Lena know in no uncertain terms that she better move away or she would be sorry. Lena knows not to ever challenge the LGD's. Kind of a "cujo" moment.

Tonight the baby was hopping all over the house and running toward Badger... Lena perked up and just looked at the kid.... Badger took his stance and let out a fierce growl... Lena turned climbed on the couch and looked at the wall.:lol::lol::lol:

You can take the guardian out of the field but you sure can't take the guardian out of the dog.

Funny how with Lucy (the boxer/lab mutt) Badger is never bothered... Lucy doesn't do stupid things either... but if Lucy walked up Badger would be fine. Funny how these dogs just know what dog stresses a goat and what one doesn't.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
I don't know how I missed that it was Badger that got retired... I knew from a previous post that you had retired one but never saw it mentioned which one. I didn't realize that Badger was that old...:hu I'm sure you love having him there with you full time.

goatgurl

Herd Master
Reaction score
once a guardian always a guardian. good boy Badger, poor Lena all she wanted to do was look at the baby.

Beekissed

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love this story!!! :clap I love to watch dogs interact and see what language they use to correct one another, how they respond to those corrections, etc.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Not a teaching moment but thought this was sweet.
DD never gets to see the dogs... she got off work early and stopped in to say hi to the dogs....

Everyone comes to say "Hi"
March 23,2016 playtime 035.JPG

"Blue" giving his version of a kiss- nosebump- "Blue" is very TOLI
March 23,2016 playtime 036.JPG

Not Leo all the way to the right is so patient but he wants his lovin' - Notice "Blue" he has a commanding presence
March 23,2016 playtime 037.JPG

Not Leo getting his lovin'
March 23,2016 playtime 038.JPG

Chunk has circled around- apparently not getting enough attention
March 23,2016 playtime 039.JPG

Pete getting a hug and Chunk and Silver still waiting patiently
Callie laying up against the fence
March 23,2016 playtime 040.JPG

Latest posts