Southern by Choice's Teaching Moments- Indoor LGD! Badger

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
See this is the stuff we do "over here"... we talk and engage too! :D
Yes, all the animals I own have purpose.
Dogs SHOULD always have purpose. If not they become neurotic. That is why we have so many pets out their on anti anxiety drugs, :somad
People buy terriers and yet freak if they chase a rat or a rabbit. :somad:somad:somad

Some dogs it doesn't matter how socialozed they are... people forget there is a genetic make up too. ;)

If you get goats you will :love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love:love them.
You don't even want to know how many I have. :lol: I DON'T want to know how many I have. :p

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I should come to this site more often. :D

Hmm, you're right about that. I feel like Gator's bored and he does anxiety cause sometimes theres yelling which he haaaateees. He's a very sensitive boy. We're on one such patrol right now though but he found a chipmunk den and won't give it up and is having VERY selective hearing. :somad

But at least he's doing a job and getting tired? Lol the chipmunk already ran away but he doesn't know that.

And yeah, I don't get people that get terriers, border collies, etc., high energy, intelligent dogs, then don't exercise it and crate it all day, overfeed, etc., then wonder why they are neurotic. :(

And hmmm, that's true. But I think with Gator because of the Lab, he could love dogs (and some dogs he does) and/or learn to not freak out about people but because we didn't socialize at all and he's kind of a nervous wreck to begin with (and hates loud noises etc.), it makes him worse I think. He tends overcompensate and go crazy barking etc even when it's not necessary. But I'm trying to fix some of that and it's going pretty well.

And yeah, I'm pretty excited to possibly get them. :)

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Oh and also, he loves people he meets on walks or once they get inside (which sometimes we have leash him or lock him in another room to get them in) but he's just very protective of the house/property

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
My baby Gator

20170307_144357.jpg 20170307_144411.jpg 20170307_144536.jpg 20170307_144858.jpg 20170307_144914.jpg 20170313_170140.jpg 20170313_170202.jpg 20170313_170215.jpg 20170313_170231.jpg 20170331_212413.jpg

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Love your Gator!! I love the look on his face. We have 2 Great Pyrenees, 1 Australian Shepherd and a black Lab/Great Dane mix. The latter two are house pets/farm dogs.

kdogg331

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Love your Gator!! I love the look on his face. We have 2 Great Pyrenees, 1 Australian Shepherd and a black Lab/Great Dane mix. The latter two are house pets/farm dogs.

Aww thanks! Yeah, his face is one of his best features imo haha it's just so sweet and lovable. :love and his ears are so soft haha

Awww your dogs sound adorable! I love Aussies and I bet the lab/dane is as big or bigger than Gator haha

I forget if I said but he's black Lab/Great Pyrenees

Prairie Fleur

Chillin' with the herd
Reaction score
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Read thru this whole thread today. Stuck inside with a sinus infection so needed something interesting to read. I have 2 LGDs and a rough collie. My male, London is full Pyr and looks a lot like Chunk. My female is a Sarplaininac/Anatolian Shepherd. I got her as a 16 week old pup as a replacement for an adult Pyr female I had that wouldn't stay home. The problem I had with her is that she was basically not handled at all as a baby puppy before we got her and while she can be quite needs and likes her pets she doesn't rely on us like I'd like her too. Also she goes completely crazy on a leash or if you grab her collar. Totally shuts down and will get a bit aggressive out of fear it seems. She is currently penned with my does and their kids and I've been Very pleased with how well she's done with them. This can be a real problem if I let her out to run and play with London a bit because she won't come to me when I call to put her away at night and will just deliberately avoid me. After the last episode of playing hard to catch and being a real Pill I put her back in with the goats and we put a hot wire around the bottom of the fence so she couldn't dig out. I've left her there since then with no play time out of the goats pasture because of the catching issue. (I haven't been able to work with her at all this spring to not feeling well and being stuck indoors a good share of the time.) On the upside she's been excellent with the goats, very interested and concerned when the does kid. She has played with several of the kids later on but yelling NO at her and making it Very clear that was NOT ok seems to have fixed the problem.
My male had a real problem with killing chickens until we got the female (that we had to rehome due to her terrible wandering habits). One afternoon I was outside doing chores and several young chickens the age London Loved to chase were scratching close by. I saw him eyeing them and so did the older female. She looked at him, looked and the chickens and growled. To my knowledge he's never bothered the chickens since.
London is definitely, hands down the best dog I've ever had. I've never had a relationship based on mutual understanding like this and other than the chicken killing issues as a puppy he's been the easiest dog I've ever had to pleasure to teach manners to. My bestie brings her kids over on a regular basis and they all love him to bits. He's definitely a one person dog even tho he loves kids and his 'extended family'.