sow piglet weak in the knees

bullcreek

Just born
Reaction score
We have two Yorkshire piglets, born around April 18th. We just wormed them two nights ago with Wazine17. Last night we put a bunch of grass clippings in the pen with them to munch on and root around. Tonight the little sow is having trouble standing.

We noticed last night that she didn't want her back scratched - she'd run away and didn't want touched, which is totally out of character for her. It looked like she had a mark in the middle of her back. The Yorkshires also have a "crusty" coat on their backs - like they are dirty and need a bath. They have shaded areas to get out of the sun - I worry about sunburn with their pink skin (we live in FL). They get a wet area every night to wallow in.

When I fed them tonight, I noticed they hadn't eaten much today and wasn't really interested in supper. When she started walking around, she acts like she's weak in the knees - both sets of legs. At first I thought her back legs were buckling but then I saw her front legs buckle. She catches herself at times and doesn't go completely down. I see her "shiver" and then her back sags down and her knees buckle.

This is all new to us - our first domestic breed. We've raised several generations of "wild breed" descendents and haven't had any of the issues we've been experiencing with the Yorkshires. So we are totally in the dark on this...

You all helped with me with Baby's coughing and treatment, so I am praying that you can help me with this one. Thank you so much for your expertise!

jhm47

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
The crust on their backs makes me suspect mange. Ivomec is the cure for that. As to the weak legs, shivering, and a mark on the back, it could be Erysipelas. Antibiotics for that. Good luck!

bullcreek

Just born
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, jhm47! I also did a google search on Erysipelas, which gave me a link to another site which I had found yesterday while researching Tilapia nests. The mark on her back doesn't match the description for Erysipelas so I figured I'd search "weakness", Middle Ear Infection came up, which said could also be caused by mange.

Then when I searched mange, I got a picture :D - sure looks like our young'uns' backs. We had purchased Ivomec for Baby's roundworm treatment recently, so that saved us a trip to town. Both young'uns got their injections this afternoon. I sure do hope that takes care of things... I see they are all sleeping peacefully now.

Thank you again for your advice and thanks to the people that created BackYardHerds -- today is one of those "ain't technology wonderful" days.