Spanish mastiff's for guardian dogs

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
My son owns one. very sweet (and needy) house dog. Very overweight and a gluttonous piggie and I've given them hell for it and told them to put her on a diet or they may well lose her before her tenth birthday. :rant

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing my first one in the late 90's. Her name was Heidi and she was camping with her owners. I fell in love with her. A few years later I almost bought one but was living in the city and didn't need a big dog.

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
BMD great dogs sis and brother-in-law have one on the dairy farm. Another great breed for a farm dog is an Airedale. My Airedale is great want to protect the chickens just lock him in the coup. We have coyotes and foxes only lost two chickens and not a single goat. Curly is for most into protecting my kids. Have a chicken that will squawk when u get to close scared my son once for two weeks curly would find that chicken and hold it down if it got to close to my son wouldn't kill it just hold it down. Did chores for the people next door and they had a red healer and she would bite you take the Airedale with u and he would catch her and hold her down till u told him to let her up took about two days of that before she stayed by the house. I always find dead coons and ghogs. Steers get to close to my wife he's right there between them. He's getting old now gonna start looking for a pup did have a great Dane that was a year old but she died around Xmas cause she ate something to big to pass and the vet said she probably wouldn't make it threw the operation. But she was slot like the airedale. No people would have came up to my kids with them both or even one with them.

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
sounds like a good choice! I love this breed. I met a 2 year old BMD that could hardly walk because it's hips were so bad. Made me so sad.... I'm glad you are aware of the health issues and are finding a good breeder. Super important with this breed.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
I think it's a great choice! I love the BMD!

I'm glad you realized that the SM wasn't good for your situation. That is one of the reasons I encouraged y'all wait before putting and deposits, etc. down.

Hoping you find a good breeder! I hear that some breeders are really trying to breed for longevity now, hoping you can find someone up there that does.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am looking at "bearmountainbernese". They have had some of there Bernese live to be 14 so not bad, they also are very careful to not breed any dogs that have any hip or health issues.

I am glad to have other people think we are making the right decision. I am very grateful to have such a great group of people!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I will definitely start the other thread!

I would like to keep this thread as SM's so others can come here to talk about them so I will move over to a new thread where we can talk about the breed:).