Spanish mastiff's for guardian dogs

Simpleterrier

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
I am just thinking it all out. I can't say I've been in dogs for 30 yrs I'm not 30 yet. But have been around dogs of different breeds and types for a long time. I coon hunted. Slot of guys would take u to the woods to sell a dog and say hear that it's running a coon how much u gonna give me for a dog like this. So just cause a dog barks or puts on a show doesn't mean it is doing anything at all. If u don't see what it is barking at. I find it interesting that when people bring up farm dogs the conversation always turns to lgd. But I would say most here need farm dogs not lgd. There are breeds out there that are farm dogs. Look at the cur breeds America's home made dogs. Created and breed here to be farm dogs. But I keep it simple I don't have more animals livestock or dogs then I can train and handle. I try to think this out first. I think some people just like to have the most even if it isn't necessary.so do your own research and look out side the box at non lgd to handle your property.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am just thinking it all out. I can't say I've been in dogs for 30 yrs I'm not 30 yet. But have been around dogs of different breeds and types for a long time. I coon hunted. Slot of guys would take u to the woods to sell a dog and say hear that it's running a coon how much u gonna give me for a dog like this. So just cause a dog barks or puts on a show doesn't mean it is doing anything at all. If u don't see what it is barking at. I find it interesting that when people bring up farm dogs the conversation always turns to lgd. But I would say most here need farm dogs not lgd. There are breeds out there that are farm dogs. Look at the cur breeds America's home made dogs. Created and breed here to be farm dogs. But I keep it simple I don't have more animals livestock or dogs then I can train and handle. I try to think this out first. I think some people just like to have the most even if it isn't necessary.so do your own research and look out side the box at non lgd to handle your property.

A good breeder will not just sell a dog to someone because they want one. A good breeder will evaluate their dogs and evaluate for placement.
I will say some environments call for farmdogs and that is sufficient however there is the flipside.
Far to many believe there farmdogs or NON Lgd type dogs can do what a LGD can do and they cannot.
Actually, "just cause a dog barks or puts on a show doesn't mean it is doing anything at all. If u don't see what it is barking at" this statement is not true. Dogs can see and hear far better then we can and that barking is a strong deterrent. That is first defense and a warning.
Dogs were bred for specific purposes. I would not expect my Livestock Guardian dogs to be able to coon hunt, fox hunt, retrieve... they were not bred for that purpose. I would never expect a lab, hound, terrier to do what my guardians do either.

What type of livestock do you have?

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I am so so sorry about your dogs:hugsI hope you find answers and the rest of your dogs are safe and healthy. I don't have LGD's but I know the heartache of losing pet dogs.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
So sorry for your losses Brenda. Big hugs. I really hope they are able to figure out what is wrong and if heaven forbid it was foul play those responsible are brought to justice.

I agree that dogs mourn. Our Collie became suicidal after loosing her Great Pyrenees "big brother". Aside from our mourning, we had to be cautious with hers as well. That forced us to jump into another puppy to help her or send her back to the breeder for some "therapy" as she was shutting down quickly. With the latest loss she has done much better but she is older and we had a third dog as well. We are concerned what will happen to the collie if we lose the pup as well but we will have to face that if it happens. Our hearts are not ready for another dog at this point.