Spanish mastiff's for guardian dogs

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Why not. I know it's of people that have them around livestock.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
I too would not want them near my livestock. THeir high prey drive and intensity are what I don't like. The energy and tendencies to get destructive when bored, and that happens often because they are intense working dogs and will run til their hearts burst, If you are going to get one with having no experience with one in the past, do just that. Get ONE. Not two. In my area we have more dog bites and pets killed by huskies than anything else. I would honestly rank them higher threat than pitbulls (which I do love me the pitties) any day. It can be as easy as nurture over nature but in too many cases it is nature than prevails in the dog as it does with many, many high prey driven dogs. THis is my personal view on it. To each their own but I would never risk it with my animals.

babsbag

Herd Master
Reaction score
Because they have a HUGE prey drive. All the ones I have been around are great protectors but about as unpredictable as they come. I knew a person who had a sled dog team and raised huskies and she taught obedience classes. Her own dogs could not come to class as you never knew when some other dog would set them off. And she could NOT own any cats. Also there were 3 of them that used to come to the local Starbucks. They were very friendly with people...tried to eat the King Charles Spaniel that happened to walk by them on a lead.

Beautiful dogs but not one that would be on my farm unless I had no livestock or cats.

samssimonsays

Milo & Me Hoppy Tail Acres
Reaction score
somewhere in the Northern region of Minnesota
Because they have a HUGE prey drive. All the ones I have been around are great protectors but about as unpredictable as they come. I knew a person who had a sled dog team and raised huskies and she taught obedience classes. Her own dogs could not come to class as you never knew when some other dog would set them off. And she could NOT own any cats. Also there were 3 of them that used to come to the local Starbucks. They were very friendly with people...tried to eat the King Charles Spaniel that happened to walk by them on a lead.

Beautiful dogs but not one that would be on my farm unless I had no livestock or cats.
Lets not forget they thrive off of pack mentality... more than one can be a recipe for disaster in that aspect. My aunt and two cousins used to raise sled dogs along with a great aunt and uncle, the great aunt and uncle also had two wolves (the huskies did more damage than the wolves in the 20+ years they had both).

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
I understand what you guys are getting at. That might be were you live but not so much in Alaska. My mom had a husky growing up his Name was tiger. He lived to 18 years old never bit anyone lived with rabbits hamster's cats and little dogs. More of my moms friends rhave over a hundred huskies they say they can them around themselves and there animals. It depends on how you train them. I like high energy dogs. I have no issues with them, if you have a issue with them then don't get them. And no I have had NO experience with them but I have family and friends that have had them.

Latestarter

Novice; "Practicing" Animal Husbandry
Golden Herd Member
Reaction score
It's not a function of "where you live" It's a function of the dog breed. Many people in Alaska have both breeds, and most who own them have them chained to posts in the ground with a hut to climb in, to get out of the weather, away from their homes. They are used as work dogs, NOT pets, to pull sleds. If you visit animal shelters or rescues, you'll find plenty of huskies that were turned over because the owners had NO IDEA what they were getting into when they got the dog. They got it because it was cute and looked like a wolf or because it had different colored eyes. My brother owned huskies, and friends of mine who raced sled dogs competitively had them when I was young. They are a "special" breed that requires a LOT of knowledge and experience to handle/raise/train. They do NOT make good house pets.

There are exceptions to everything, and yes, there ARE very good huskies that are great family dogs, but that is NOT the breed standard. Much comes from breeding and if you are buying from an experienced breeder who has bred the "wild" out of his dogs, then that's great. None of us are telling you what to do, just providing advice/opinions/experience/whatever you wish to call it. As long as you're aware of the potential negative possibilities... :hu Hope you get the perfect dog(s)!

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is really helpful.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
We will hopefully be reserving a pup around the end of this year for next year puppys:weee. The only thing is to decide if we should get a boy or a girl. Any ideas?