Spanish mastiff's for guardian dogs

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
That is something I hadn't considered. We will have to see what is best when we are ready. Dad said once we have the trailer out on he property we can start looking into what litter we want. He also wants to go with Joycelyns litter.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thank GW I will read up on.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
Yeah, that is disturbing IMO- 4 litters in 2 years.

I see this sometimes with pyr "breeders" their dogs are so worn out and aged so badly they don't live long. Very sad.
That is what we call a mill.

Sometimes if a newer line comes in, a breeder will breed back to back for 2 years and "retire" the dog... so it isn't always a mill. Which you may see more in rarer breeds.Just be careful.
No reason to ever do this with a common breed like a Pyr.

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
@TAH I don't think you have a choice! If you don't have a reservation in now for one of Jocelyn's pups, they might already be spoken for. Unlikely you can wait until they are born.

@Southern by choice Me too. 2 litters a year? They think the dog is a machine? Quite sad.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
If you can't get a reserve in now, that's okay. I wouldn't rush into it because they might be sold out soon. Take your time, talk to breeders, make sure they have the appropriate health testing, find someone that will walk you through. They obviously breed a lot, they will have more pups. They also aren't the only breeders either.

Reactions: TAH

purplequeenvt

Herd Master
Reaction score
What was the cross? What about impressed about the cross? We are also considering having a SM/GP cross from a farm in Nevada.

Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience with the breed and this particular dog is quite the mixture - greatest part is SM, but he is also part GP, Maremma, Polish Tatra.

He is a failed LGD since he has injured several sheep. His prey drive is too high, although he can go long stretches where he seems to have "grown up", but given the opportunity, he will eventually start chewing on someone.

I do wonder if he has some Border Collie in him as well because of his high prey drive. He, although a big dog, is much smaller than his breeder estimated his size to be. She's done this cross before (possibly with the same parents) so she should have data on the cross. There was one puppy in the litter that was a BC cross (a litter can have multiple sires).

Reactions: TAH

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce I don't want to put a reservation down right now. Who knows if we will be ready for a pup next spring that is why I am waiting till the trailer is to the property and we can start getting prepared.

If you can't get a reserve in now, that's okay. I wouldn't rush into it because they might be sold out soon. Take your time, talk to breeders, make sure they have the appropriate health testing, find someone that will walk you through. They obviously breed a lot, they will have more pups. They also aren't the only breeders either.
That is what my dad says.

Goat Whisperer

Herd Master
Reaction score
Like I said, I don't have a lot of experience with the breed and this particular dog is quite the mixture - greatest part is SM, but he is also part GP, Maremma, Polish Tatra.

He is a failed LGD since he has injured several sheep. His prey drive is too high, although he can go long stretches where he seems to have "grown up", but given the opportunity, he will eventually start chewing on someone.

I do wonder if he has some Border Collie in him as well because of his high prey drive. He, although a big dog, is much smaller than his breeder estimated his size to be. She's done this cross before (possibly with the same parents) so she should have data on the cross. There was one puppy in the litter that was a BC cross (a litter can have multiple sires).
And why the heck didn't the breeder DNA them?!?!?! That is just wrong. If they knew there were different sires they should have owed up for their mistakes and pay the $ to DNA them. All that stress on you and the stock… :hit :somad :he

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
@Bruce I don't want to put a reservation down right now. Who knows if we will be ready for a pup next spring that is why I am waiting till the trailer is to the property and we can start getting prepared.

That is what my dad says.
I guess I misunderstood since you said you were going for a pup from their early 2017 litter. Sounded like your decision was pretty much already made.