Spay/neuter

NH homesteader

Herd Master
Reaction score
I've heard cats can get urinary crystals if neutered too young. Which, is common as our humane society neuters at like 6 weeks. But I don't (and won't) have cats so I don't know all that much.

Haven't we all had to ask questions that we look back on and go... Seriously, I asked that? I like this forum more than most, I've read some judgemental answers to questions on some others.

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
This thread has my interest and I'm curious what you would do with a herding dog that has a testicle that hasn't dropped. He is a champion blood line that is an awesome herding dog but we aren't planning on breeding. Would you castrate or ?????

This is obviously off topic so we can disregard if needed,

Bruce

Herd Master
Reaction score
Questioning whether a dog with a testicle that hasn't dropped should be neutered on this thread IS on topic. Even if there is a general "don't neuter" philosophy, medical conditions might dictate otherwise. Where better to ask?

Mike CHS

Herd Master
Reaction score
Thanks Bruce. We did not neuter because this dog could potentially be one of the best in the country but no matter what we want to do what is the best for the dog.

TAH

Herd Master
Reaction score
Most of my dad's dogs were intact and he never had an oops litter, so he has never been into spaying and neutering dogs. He plans on having all our dogs intact except for our pit who is already neutered. Now I have some questions on health issue I have been told about if you don't spay your dog. My friend has had many dogs and she is all about spaying if you don't breed. She has told me that if you don't ever breed a female dog then they will have cancer and will only live to be 7-8? I have also heard about female dogs being aggressive with other male intact dogs but after spaying are fine, is there a hormonal thing that causes this?

Another question that a friend asked me a while back is spaying a dog at 6 cause lots of health problems?

Green Acres Farm

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, you were saying (I think) that dogs can only get pregnant during certain parts of their heat cycle? When our vet was telling us to get my dog spayed and warning us about all the dangers of having an intact dog, he said that she could get pregnant a week before, during, and a week after her heat cycle. :hu

Bossroo

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
@Southern by choice, you were saying (I think) that dogs can only get pregnant during certain parts of their heat cycle? When our vet was telling us to get my dog spayed and warning us about all the dangers of having an intact dog, he said that she could get pregnant a week before, during, and a week after her heat cycle. :hu
This vet was asleep during the "birds and the bees " class or out and out to pocket your $$$s.

Southern by choice

Herd Master
Reaction score
My friend has had many dogs and she is all about spaying if you don't breed. She has told me that if you don't ever breed a female dog then they will have cancer and will only live to be 7-8? I have also heard about female dogs being aggressive with other male intact dogs but after spaying are fine, is there a hormonal thing that causes this?

Another question that a friend asked me a while back is spaying a dog at 6 cause lots of health problems?

Your friend is very wrong on all accounts.
Spaying a female after 5-6 years of age lowers the probability of the cancers that early spay cause.
I have always had intact animals as well as many others, this is simply not true. This is part of the mantra that has been repeated for so long that people just believe it.

A vet told a client that had a dog that was recently diagnosed with cancer that the dog got cancer because it was never fixed. One of the employees asked if that is true then why did the other 8 dogs that were here this week (all diagnosed with cancer) have cancer and they were all "fixed".

Either there was a misunderstanding or your vet needs to go back to school.

Latest posts