Spaying Gracie

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Aw she looks so bummed!
She's a beautiful dog. I'm glad she's okay after that tough surgery :hugs
I know how that goes...I was monitoring my dog under anesthesia when he got neutered and he was under for almost 3 hours and everything that could possibly go wrong did go wrong.
I hope she recovers quick and soon she'll be back to her normal self and doing her LG duties!

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
Poor Gracie! Surgery is rough on these dogs. Not only is the surgery rough, but they want so badly to be back on the job. I hope she gets feeling better soon. I am surprised she is willing to stay in the laundry room at all. She looks so sad like she is just waiting for someone to open the door so she can go back to work.

Anatolians are notorious for being sensitive to anesthetic. My breeder told me when we wanted to spay Rika to tell the vet that they had to treat Anatolians like greyhounds. Luckily my vet is familiar with greyhound sensitivity.

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
The cone of shame......no matter what you do, they look so sad. She will heal up, get over this and be back to work in no time.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
:oops: So sad and embarrassing for her!

She will be up and back on the job soon. Neutering LGDs keeps their minds on the job instead of their hormones - especially males. However they tend to pester the females and make it harder for them to work. No matter which one is entire, someone has to be locked up or you lose 2 guardians. With 2 females and 1 male like I have, poor old Bubba will have to be jailed when Angel comes in season. If I kenneled Angel, Bubba would just moon around her pen and I would lose 2 guardians.

I can't wait till she has 3 cycles and I can have her spayed.

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Its been a long road. Gracie was in to see the vet every day last week. She went in for a quick check yesterday and the vet closed up a small area that had opened up with what seemed like a zillion staples. My sweet girl never flinched. I think we are on the road to recovery. Of course, she would be shedding at the same time as trying to recover from her spay. She has lost enough hair to make another dog.

Ridgetop

Herd Master
Reaction score
I wonder if these LGDs tear open their stitches because they are active or just don't feel them. Rika did the same thing with hers ad we had her kenneled for 3 weeks post spay.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Its been a long road. Gracie was in to see the vet every day last week. She went in for a quick check yesterday and the vet closed up a small area that had opened up with what seemed like a zillion staples. My sweet girl never flinched. I think we are on the road to recovery. Of course, she would be shedding at the same time as trying to recover from her spay. She has lost enough hair to make another dog.
Aw poor baby! Glad she's doing better though :)
Staples are pretty painless for dogs, even removing them the dogs don't seem to mind at all!
But when we get staples...ouch!

Baymule

Herd Master
Reaction score
Hugs for Gracie! I get it on the shedding hair. I groom our GP's and I am white and hairy. Then I groom the hair off me and head for the shower.

AmberLops

Herd Master
Reaction score
Stress will make them shed more too! Poor thing!!

bethh

True BYH Addict
Reaction score
Hugs for Gracie! I get it on the shedding hair. I groom our GP's and I am white and hairy. Then I groom the hair off me and head for the shower.
Our yard looks like something lost its life with all the hair everywhere.

Latest posts