1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. When do dwarf goats sacs fall off after banding? - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Split Penis?

Discussion in 'Breeds and Breeding - Rabbits' started by HVans, Feb 19, 2019.

1. Feb 19, 2019
    HVans

HVans Just born

A few days ago I bought a new 8 week old Lionhead buck for my breeding stock but his Penis doesnt look right to me. I showed the breeder I bought him from and she says it looks normal to her.

I'm thinking split penis. What do you think?

Attached Files:

2. Feb 20, 2019
    promiseacres

promiseacres Herd Master

8 weeks is very early to tell. they go through some changes as they mature. I'd definatly watch it and make sure he matures into a more normal penis. I've had 3 Velveteen lops that I was concerned about, 1 was finally normal at 10 months, the other 2 never were and I culled at 10 months. Of course they mature slower than a lionhead.

B&B Happy goats likes this.
  3. Feb 20, 2019
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

That doesn't look 'normal' to me. Whether it turns out to be 'functional' will remain to be seen.

4. Feb 20, 2019
    Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Tale of Tails Rabbitry Loving the herd life

What do I know? I do weekly checks of my rabbits. I went back and forth on one, finally was sure it was a doe. Three days before a show at 12 weeks old—I really don't know how he hid it so well all that time. Never had one do that before in 8 years!

But I agree it does not look normal and quite possibly is split.

5. Feb 20, 2019
    Bunnylady

Bunnylady True BYH Addict

I suspect the long-standing joke about visits from the "sex-change fairy" may owe its existence to bucks with partial splits. When body parts are tiny, it can be hard to tell if you are looking at a dot or a dash, but by 8 weeks, you should be able to tell. I have seen some very experienced rabbit breeders with a junior buck entered in a junior doe class; I wonder how many had partial splits?

promiseacres likes this.