Split Penis?

HVans

Just born
Reaction score
A few days ago I bought a new 8 week old Lionhead buck for my breeding stock but his Penis doesnt look right to me. I showed the breeder I bought him from and she says it looks normal to her.

I'm thinking split penis. What do you think?

Attachments

• 20190217_141429.jpg
    20190217_141429.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 953

promiseacres

Herd Master
Reaction score
8 weeks is very early to tell. they go through some changes as they mature. I'd definatly watch it and make sure he matures into a more normal penis. I've had 3 Velveteen lops that I was concerned about, 1 was finally normal at 10 months, the other 2 never were and I culled at 10 months. Of course they mature slower than a lionhead.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
That doesn't look 'normal' to me. Whether it turns out to be 'functional' will remain to be seen.

Tale of Tails Rabbitry

Loving the herd life
Reaction score
What do I know? I do weekly checks of my rabbits. I went back and forth on one, finally was sure it was a doe. Three days before a show at 12 weeks old—I really don't know how he hid it so well all that time. Never had one do that before in 8 years!

But I agree it does not look normal and quite possibly is split.

Bunnylady

Herd Master
Reaction score
I suspect the long-standing joke about visits from the "sex-change fairy" may owe its existence to bucks with partial splits. When body parts are tiny, it can be hard to tell if you are looking at a dot or a dash, but by 8 weeks, you should be able to tell. I have seen some very experienced rabbit breeders with a junior buck entered in a junior doe class; I wonder how many had partial splits?