1. BYH Official Poll: What are the things that you should consider before buying herds?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  2. BYH Featured Thread: Growing horn pain/itching?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 2017 BYC Calendar SUPER SALE!
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. BYH Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Split Teat/Teat Spur Questions

Discussion in 'Breeds & Breeding - Goats' started by Squirrelgirl88, May 14, 2017.

1. May 14, 2017
    Squirrelgirl88

Squirrelgirl88 Loving the herd life

So if you breed a Nigerian Doe with a teat spur is it a guarantee all of her babies will have also have it? Her Dam has two perfect teats. She has what I am thinking is a teat spur. Its not a full second teat, just a very small opening on one side of the normal orifice.

Is she more likely to have mastitis or other issues if she is bred?

Do you ever "spay" a female goat because its in the best interest not to breed her and let her come into milk?

2. May 14, 2017
    Green Acres Farm

Green Acres Farm True BYH Addict

I have a doe with a small nonfunctional teat spur. She is an unregistered Nigerian and a pretty good milker. Thankfully in my case it does not interfere with milking. 2 of her 3 kids did not inherit the spur, but one did. She was sold with full disclosure.

I know a breeder who breeds show quality goats with normal teats and had a kid pop up with a teat spur. :hu

IMO, if you don't want a doe bred, then just don't breed her. Although I know it has been done before, spaying is uncommon and risky.

3. May 16, 2017
    Squirrelgirl88

I've checked with the breeder. NONE of the parents and grandparents had split teats. Should I worry about breeding her Mom again?

4. May 16, 2017
    Green Acres Farm

Green Acres Farm True BYH Addict

What is the purpose of these kids? Milk, meat, etc?

I know meat goat breeders see extra teats as no big deal. I doubt they have a lot of mastitis issues with it if it isn't a culling point. :hu

If she is a registered dairy doe then you might consider selling her kids unregistered if her other traits don't outweigh this one. Others may disagree. I wouldn't sell any intact bucks out of her.

5. May 16, 2017
    OneFineAcre

OneFineAcre Herd Master

Don't breed her Mom to the same buck again
    As for her there is no guarantee her kids will have it
    Personally in my situation I would not keep her
    I' don't know what your purpose is so can't say what you should do

Green Acres Farm likes this.
  6. May 17, 2017
    Squirrelgirl88

We use our girls as pets and for milk. We don't show, never will. I don't care about registered or unregistered. We leased the buck last year, so not a problem on not using him again. My husband insisted we have ADGA registered so that the babies could be sold to offset the cost of our herd. I'm going to try and find her a good pet home. Thanks for all of the advice.

OneFineAcre likes this.